steamer INDIANA

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Sponsor: dlumberyard
Staff member
Sponsor

the great lakes steamer Indiana 1848 is one of the early prop driven steamers built on the lakes. Her wreck was discovered and the steam engine salvaged.

It is a very rare find to have an intact steam engine. with todays technology with 3D modeling and printing it is possible to reconstruct the engine room of the Indiana.

finding the drawings, photographs and videos of the wreck and steam engine is very difficult and the only clue so far is this.

the question is there is a complete study done of the wreck and of the machinery but who do you ask for this information? where is it?
such information remains in the academic circles, in museums, in private hands and proves difficult to track down for the average model buiders

in1.JPGin8.JPGin8.JPGin10.JPGin10.JPG

I could be wrong, but I think that I recall a TV program about this. It may not provide any answers, but it may. Is this the vessel that sank in one of the great lakes? Jeez, but my (lack of) memory isn't helping much here!

it seems 3 studies were done on the engine but when the Smithsonian was contacted this is their reply

The Smithsonian Institution Archives holds records related to the salvage of “Indiana,” but I do not believe our documentation would include object reports or drawings.

odd the Smithsonian would not have object reports when an inventory was done by Paul Johnston and what happened to Richard Anderson and Fred Hockers reports and drawings? having gone through 3 departments of the Smithsonian no one seems to know anything.

This is why when the hobby suggests "better models through research" they have no clue what it takes to research anything. it seems to be beyond the capabilities of your average hobby ship builder.

there seems to be a disconnect between the model ship builders and the academic community and archives, museums and collections seem to be a black hole where information falls into never to be seen again.

the Indiana is one of the first prop driven vessels on the lakes. Interesting the main frame of the engine was built out of wood. This would make a great model but it looks like the efforts to salvage it was all in vain because that information became lost.

could it be the engine sat in a warehouse for 30+ years then someone comes along and decides more storage space is needed. so seeing a pile of rusted parts that sat there all this time and nothing was done with it the word was given "ok toss this mess out" or maybe it is still there WHO KNOWS?

I could be wrong, but I think that I recall a TV program about this. It may not provide any answers, but it may. Is this the vessel that sank in one of the great lakes? Jeez, but my (lack of) memory isn't helping much here!

yes there was a TV series Shipwrecks of the Great Lakes the Indiana might of been mentioned in passing in one of the episodes but i don't know for sure.
ships lost at sea can also be ships lost in archives never to be seen again.

If that's the one I remember, it was a small steamer that had made the trip up the lake and river many times but got caught in a freak set of weather and other circumstances. I don't suppose that even if you find the documentary it'll add much to your knowledge, but every little helps, perhaps.

You know, since I recently joined this forum, purely for selfish reasons (helping me with a wooden galleon I'd abandoned for years) I've begun to realise how much attention I've paid to ships over the years, from sailing ships, Greek triremes, viking longship construction to steamers, modern vessels and even canal boats (I just love the UK narrow boats dating back to the industrial revolution. I've even got a pair of lovely hand-painted brass bells from a narrow boat).

slowly piece by piece the research is coming together. A box of slides on the salvage of the indiana was found in the archives at Bowling Green university.

Cool!

You've got me gripped by this: told you I like ships. I also like research. I really feel inclined to start looking for more. It's lovely that you're trying to make this as authentic as possible.

If that's the one I remember, it was a small steamer that had made the trip up the lake and river many times but got caught in a freak set of weather and other circumstances. I don't suppose that even if you find the documentary it'll add much to your knowledge, but every little helps, perhaps.

You know, since I recently joined this forum, purely for selfish reasons (helping me with a wooden galleon I'd abandoned for years) I've begun to realise how much attention I've paid to ships over the years, from sailing ships, Greek triremes, viking longship construction to steamers, modern vessels and even canal boats (I just love the UK narrow boats dating back to the industrial revolution. I've even got a pair of lovely hand-painted brass bells from a narrow boat).

That is interesting same has happened to me, i had a narrow interest in ships then Ships of Scale has widened my view of the subject.
i was getting a bit bored with available ship models they started to all look alike you could not tell in general one frigate from another. Creativity began to flow and thinking of steam punk and engine room dioramas, fan tail sterns, rounded sterns steam engines built on wooden frames wow the subjects are endless.

Don't think I fancy a Steam Punk San Francisco II, but it'd be interesting. Don't get me started, or I'll be adding Gothic architecture to the ship, or a Gaudi cathedral on the stern!

I'll take another look at the avatar thing. I may have missed something.

Don't think I fancy a Steam Punk San Francisco II, but it'd be interesting. Don't get me started, or I'll be adding Gothic architecture to the ship, or a Gaudi cathedral on the stern!

I'll take another look at the avatar thing. I may have missed something.

click on update cover photo to change the avatar

Capture.JPG

perhaps a little over the top #22/ 100 prints signed best regards Harold

harold steampunk.jpg

this is the Indiana

Capture in1.JPGCapture in2.JPG

What is really cool about this ship is the steam engine had a wooden frame built in 1848. This would make a nice cross section of the engine room. But the problem is all i found is a low resolution images of the engine drawing and it is impossible to read. The Smithsonian took part in the salvage of the engine but repeated tries to the Smithsonian i get no reply concerning these drawings.
They also have the engine and a collection of pictures of it but again seems no one knows anything about it.

indiana3.JPGindiana4.JPGindiana5.JPG

since my first post on the Indiana back on Feb 11 i finally tracked down 8 sheets of drawings for the Indiana and the steam engine. Well that only took 4 months. Once i get the drawings i will scan them and convert them into CAD drawings and drawings to 3D print the engine.

Back