Steel Cannon

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Le Rochefort Moderator

Hello all.

Well, I want this to be my first legitament lathe project. It is a Ships Cannon made out of steel.

What type of steel, I am uncertain as I bought it from Lowes to experiment from until I found a resource.

It took me about 2 hours to do this. Anyway, hope you all like it.

Donnie

I was looking at this project I guess as a means of experimenting with diff metals. I have already played around with Brass and Aluminum. I am thinking about adding more to this - maybe building a carriage to mount it in. The bore goes all the way to the cascabel and I plan to drill a small hole in it. Maybe even pack some gun powder in it and shoot it !

Hi Donnie,
A question.
What size is the cannon?
The tweezers do not tell the story.
I have really small tweezers and very large tweezers....
This is a productive criticism question.
Do not take offense.
Regards,
Sgt Glick
Donnie said:
Hello all.

Well, I want this to be my first legitament lathe project. It is a Ships Cannon made out of steel.

What type of steel, I am uncertain as I bought it from Lowes to experiment from until I found a resource.

It took me about 2 hours to do this. Anyway, hope you all like it.

Donnie

Well,
I don't have the Canon sitting right in front of me at the moment - I can get a pair of calipers. But if an estimate is fair (for now). It is about 1.25" long and about .25 round at its widest point.

Donnie

ps. I do not know what kind of steel it is - but sure ain't that friendly to work with. I just picked up a rod from Lowes. I plan to purchase some from a place like onlinemetals.com

Back