Stern section 1/160 HMS ENTERPRISE 1774 by Unicorn Models China

Hi All

This is my build-log of the Enterprize stern-section in 1/160 scale by Chinese manufacturer Unicorn models. There are two wood versions you can choose from: Boxwood (buxus on the website) or Pearwood. I’m building the Boxwood version which is slightly more expensive. I paid 77 dollars P&P included. On the invoice the seller stated 10 dollar with is a nice touch from the seller so no import duties to ad to the price.
O1CN01oMlI0B2KXHQPhALiL_!!349479566.png

The kit comes packed as shown on the picture (all pictures in this post come from the Unicorn website and FB page sailing ship model), which is a sufficiently securely packaged.
The content can be seen on my post in the Kit review section.

I’m a slow builder and have some kits waiting in the wings but when I saw the development on the Facebook page Sailing ship model (https://www.facebook.com/ssmchina) I had to have it. I admire the Chinese kits that show the framework but they are to big for my taste (were to put them when finished?). I like smaller scale more and therefor I am a admirer of Phillip Reeds work. So when this kit came available it was a good opportunity to try something small. Looking back: this kit is very, very small so next time I will look at a somewhat bigger scale. So after a ship building hiatus of more than 5 years………. let's start!

English is not my first language therefor my apologies from any spelling mistakes!

141664179_1876806649139599_6755107892674311922_n.jpg139162850_1869446166542314_8347118741029992879_n.jpg

WOW !!

I am salivating! When will they bring out the full ship model?

The start has been made!

After studying the assembly instructions careful I made a start. Since the instructions are mostly pictorial and have some Chinese text and my Chinese is a bit rusty there wil be a lot of guessing, I guess….. All the parts are laser engraved and need some cutting to release them from their sheet of wood. I found out that a #11 knife was to thick to cut out the pieces, so I used a single sided razorblade.

L1040057.JPG
The first step was this deadwood/sternpiece jig. It took some time before I realized what it was for. The frame location is on the deadwood engraved on one side only, the other side you have to scribe yourself. This shows the position of the scrib lines. The pic shows the deadwood already scribed.

L1040058.JPG
This pic shows the parts to be assembled into the stern part. Below is another jig for positioning al the parts correct.

L1040059.JPG
Here the assembly is shown with some more jigs to ensure proper alignment.

L1040060.JPG
I started on the assembly jig (a lot of jigs so far). At the moment dry assembly only. Everything fits snug so no need for glueing.

Many Thanks for starting this log of the small model - I got my kit some days ago from Unicorn

Working on the stern. It took some time to figure out how to approach the next steps. The photo manual was not very clear and with the translate tool I got only more confused. I studied the manual over and over and only after checking the pictures on the facebook page it dawned to me what I was supposed to do! L1040070.JPG
Still some clean-up to do.

L1040068.JPG

L1040069.JPG
The last part of the sanding will be done later.

If the little guys by unicorn are anything to go by, I would like think there bigger ones are also great. The mini druid was a hell of a lot of fun.
Do we have list on the site of what china company makes what. its easy with CAF as they have a web site, however the other guys do not other than ZHL for some and aliexpress, but it hard to search by the china makers.

Hi All

This is my build-log of the Enterprize stern-section in 1/160 scale by Chinese manufacturer Unicorn models. There are two wood versions you can choose from: Boxwood (buxus on the website) or Pearwood. I’m building the Boxwood version which is slightly more expensive. I paid 77 dollars P&P included. On the invoice the seller stated 10 dollar with is a nice touch from the seller so no import duties to ad to the price.

The kit comes packed as shown on the picture (all pictures in this post come from the Unicorn website and FB page sailing ship model), which is a sufficiently securely packaged.

I’m a slow builder and have some kits waiting in the wings but when I saw the development on the Facebook page Sailing ship model (https://www.facebook.com/ssmchina) I had to have it. I admire the Chinese kits that show the framework but they are to big for my taste (were to put them when finished?). I like smaller scale more and therefor I am a admirer of Phillip Reeds work. So when this kit came available it was a good opportunity to try something small. Looking back: this kit is very, very small so next time I will look at a somewhat bigger scale. So after a ship building hiatus of more than 5 years………. let's start!

English is not my first language therefor my apologies from any spelling mistakes!
Hallo @Robboxxx
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the stern section going?

Hi All

Hallo @Robboxxx
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back