table saw VS proxxon fet or similar

hello all, my really old table saw gave up the ghost, motor is grounded. Now I was thinking maybe to perchase a new saw. Could a portable saw like a dewalt or a boosch do the job as well as a saw like a proxxon or similar mini saws out there.

hello all, my really old table saw gave up the ghost, motor is grounded. Now I was thinking maybe to perchase a new saw. Could a portable saw like a dewalt or a boosch do the job as well as a saw like a proxxon or similar mini saws out there.
It depends which kind of timber (size) you want to cut and with which accuracy you want to work!?!
Cuts on small parts are more or less impossible to make with a "normal" table saw. So no making of gratings (you have to install a 1mm saw blade) or a wooden strips with 1 mm.
Also often you can not adjust and fix the miter gauge in enough accuracy.
So very important question you have to clarify by yourself: What and which cuts you want to do with the saw?

Smelly
I spent years and years using my archaic table saw waiting to lose a part of me to it. It’s perfect for general wood working but trying to cut small pieces for a model is a death wish. Seriously. I consider myself lucky. And stupid for testing fate all those years. I recently bought a Proxxon table saw. Wow! I love it. Made a cutting sled for it. Small parts can now be cut safely and accurately. Took me 68 years to get smart.
I know the debates about Proxxon and others but I am more than happy with this one. It is fantastic.

It’s funny isn’t it, there really is not just one saw that does everything, I have had my Byrnes model saw for any least five years and couldn’t be happier with it however I would love to have a small table saw for cutting timber to big for the Byrnes and although I also have 18 year old scroll saw, I would really like to have a small and convenient band saw, and then when searching the internet I came across this fantastic but expensive Swiss Pegas scroll bandsaw and I lusted after that. I have various small hand and tenon saws and one of those great japanese pull saws, two hand electric saws and a chain saw, I think that I might have small tool obsession problem, anyone else out there similarly afflicted?

It’s funny isn’t it, there really is not just one saw that does everything, I have had my Byrnes model saw for any least five years and couldn’t be happier with it however I would love to have a small table saw for cutting timber to big for the Byrnes and although I also have 18 year old scroll saw, I would really like to have a small and convenient band saw, and then when searching the internet I came across this fantastic but expensive Swiss Pegas scroll bandsaw and I lusted after that. I have various small hand and tenon saws and one of those great japanese pull saws, two hand electric saws and a chain saw, I think that I might have small tool obsession problem, anyone else out there similarly afflicted?
A man cannot have enough tools. I think that is a law somewhere. The internet and Utube have ruined me. I see something I like and Boom! It’s on its way to my workshop. My father has been gone 47 years and I just refurbished one of his hand planes. I guess it’s a sickness.

There is a lot of discussion about saws on this site- just root around and there are more opinions than anyone needs. Model size saws lack power, and contractor size saws lack precision. Since you and I are in North America, I am partial to 1930s-1950s cast iron bench saws from Sears and Montgomery Ward. They will need some work, but are incredibly solid machines that can cut a 2X4 when needed. An appropriate blade and a zero clearance insert are essential for model size work. Unfortunately, these were not really available in the rest of the world. Here is mine:

ok i am going to be a diseting voice here, as dave steves and my self ha pointed out, why not a band saw i cut very fine stipes and materials on it, also curve(iam not talking about one of the overpriced model band saws but a medium end big boys tool i have a 9 inch table top band saw that does everthing that the expensive toys do, and besides that wit a blade chanfe i can do resawing, GUESS WHAT$ 124.00 WANT TO CONTINUE YOU I CAN TAKE THE RESAWN MATERIAL PUT IT ON MY THICKNESS SANDE GUESS WHAT $ 220.00, STILL LESS THEN THE SINGLE BYRNES AND OR PROZON, JUST MY INFLATED 5 CENTS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

Remember a regular table saw has a blade kerf that removes enough wood to equal a single plank.
If you have plenty of wood you want to dimension down to manageable pieces then that is ok.
For instance- years ago I cut down a dead olive tree, let it dry, I used the band saw and table saw to cut into nice manageable pieces then I had my friend cut into hobby size pieces on his proxxon table saw.
If I'd cut the pieces to its final size on the regular table saw I would have lost half the tree to saw dust.

P.S- Yes, I do want the Byrnes table saw, but they never seem to be on sale on eBay, Gumtree, Graysonline in Australia

I always prefer the DEWALT DWE7485 table saw. In this review, i found a lot of info about this saw. I love mine DEWALT, which was my first and the only table saw for the past 3 years.

Last edited:
I have a Dewalt (745, I think) and I love it. For small work I use a 7" blade from my portable circular saw. That blade is about half the thickness of my 10" blades. By using a jig that I built I can cut very thin pieces very nicely, but a 1/66" kerf is still a large waste of wood. So far, my smallest model is a scale model lobster boat (26.5" long) that I'm building from scratch so my thinnest pieces are the planks at 5/64". If ever I start on smaller models I will certainly need a modellers saw. But until then. I love the capabilities of my well-made table saw and the things jigs can do for it..

Attachments

• Thin-Strip Gauge.JPG
    Thin-Strip Gauge.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 23
Back