Tamiya CVN65 ENTERPRISE, 1:350

It's been many months since I have been on this site. I hadn't seen the birthday wishes before now so I thank you all very much for the thoughts. Back in January I was getting a new Park Model home installed and it was taking forever. I can't believe how many little details there are to parking a new mobile home on a lot and moving in. I thought I'd never complete the move. Then one day in February it was done. Now I had to move in and get everything situated so I and the new German Shepherd mix could live in it. That has taken until now and it's not all done. I still have to have the extra room added on but that will wait for awhile. Maybe later this winter I'll get to that. There is very little extra space in this small home so i have no bench to work at. My model building will have to wait for now. I see a lot of great models being built here so I'll be looking in from time to time to see how your doing. Pete

100_0011 (1).JPG100_0369 (1).JPG82553749_10215198894477157_3928737659463139328_o.jpg

It's been many months since I have been on this site. I hadn't seen the birthday wishes before now so I thank you all very much for the thoughts. Back in January I was getting a new Park Model home installed and it was taking forever. I can't believe how many little details there are to parking a new mobile home on a lot and moving in. I thought I'd never complete the move. Then one day in February it was done. Now I had to move in and get everything situated so I and the new German Shepherd mix could live in it. That has taken until now and it's not all done. I still have to have the extra room added on but that will wait for awhile. Maybe later this winter I'll get to that. There is very little extra space in this small home so i have no bench to work at. My model building will have to wait for now. I see a lot of great models being built here so I'll be looking in from time to time to see how your doing. Pete
Good to read, that you are well and „only“ busy!
Enjoy the Time ich your dog......... Hope to See you soon

This is a sweet looking aircraft carrier with some neat looking aircraft to go with it. Its three feet 2" long and will make a very impressive addition to your fleet. I started to motorize the kit but then changed my mind and built a hanger deck instead. There are about 85 airplanes that can go on the ship because I bought extras for it. I've done the hull and the hanger deck and now need to paint all these stupid airplanes which is taking me forever to get done. You should be warned before building this ship ,it has a ton of tiny parts and if your eyes aren't good then you'll need some strong glasses. It's no fun getting older. I've taken several pictures of the work as it was done so I'll try and make a build out of them up to this date and then go from there.View attachment 89143View attachment 89133View attachment 89134View attachment 89135View attachment 89136View attachment 89137View attachment 89139View attachment 89140View attachment 89141View attachment 89142View attachment 89143
Hallo @Norgale
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Well I'm back again. I've left an explanation of my absence in the thread of my Cutty Sark if you care to read it. It's unbelievable how life can mess up your model building time but I'm game for the challenge and will keep after it until I get it right. It's good to be back with you all again and thanks very much for the Birthday wishes. Turning eighty is no walk in the park. Ha! Pete

Taking a look at what I need to finish my Enterprise and I was surprised to see that there are no decals for the landing and take off paths on the flight deck. Does anyone know if these decals are available from someone? There's no way I can paint those lines with my eyes like they are but a set of decals would work fine. Wolfman, you out there still?

Taking a look at what I need to finish my Enterprise and I was surprised to see that there are no decals for the landing and take off paths on the flight deck. Does anyone know if these decals are available from someone? There's no way I can paint those lines with my eyes like they are but a set of decals would work fine. Wolfman, you out there still?
Hi Norgale,

Here is a picture of the flight deck on my 1/350 Tamiya USS Enterprise CVN 65.
All the markings are as close to correct as possible apart from the long white line running from the center of the flight deck to the number on the bow.
This line was removed from the flight deck sometime ago.
All my deck markings are sprayed painted.
I hope this is helpful to you as a guide.
Beau.
17B29998-8191-40D9-8816-B288BD0CEAB9.jpeg

Thanks Beau and that looks really great. I don't know how you had the patience to mask all that for spray painting but it's very well done. I ended up using pin striping tape on mine and that was better for me. Still have the red dashes on the forward deck to do and a few other things as well. Waiting for some paint to arrive for a few details like the safety nets along the sides and the black tape for the water line. I still have to redo most of my aircraft since I did the colors wrong and then all the tiny decals. I want to get this finished for a friend who served on her. I'm giving the model to him when it's done.
By the way do you have a source for the pin striping? I had to order from three different companies to get what I needed for this ship. PITA!

100_0029 (4).JPG

100_0030 (4).JPG

100_0031 (3).JPG

Over many years of building and sailing RC ships I have always used pin striping purchased at the automotive stores. It is very weather proof, comes in a variety of colours and can be cut to narrower widths if needed.

I'm not sure how you would cut this stuff but as you can see from the pictures I did find what I needed except for the half inch stuff for the waterline. However I think half inch is too wide so I'll use quarter inch for that instead. The rest is now completed and I found what I needed under Chartpak Tape for charts. Hobby shops don't seem to have the 1/32 size that I needed for this ship. Most everyone has 1/8th and up. Thanks for the tip Fourseas. Auto shops are very useful for this tape when you need it. I also use ot in my sailing ships for the side stripes. Sure saves me a lot of work.

Sorry I did not elaborate on how I cut it. It is difficult but this is what I do. Start with a fairly wider piece than what you really need. Peel the backing off of it and stick it down (as strait as possible) to a piece of parchment or waxed paper so it will stay put while you cut it. I then lay a steel strait edged ruler on my tape at the desired width and cut it with my scalpel or ver sharp razor blade. I cut through on both sides of the waxed paper so that when the job is done I still have a backer on the sticky part of my stripe to peel off as I apply it.

Another thing I have done, which is a lot easier, is to find a much wider more decorative spool of tape in the automotive store that comes with two or three separate stripes in various widths on it. Hope this helps anyone like me whom is not good at painting stripes.

Jim

The model I have is built as far as I can go with it right now. I had to order a few pieces to finish it and the person for whom I am building this ship has gone back North for the summer so when I get the parts I'll finish it this summer and he can have it in the fall. Got a few pictures for ya. Still need the 65 for the tower and a couple of deck antennas on it and then it will be complete. There is a hanger deck with almost as many planes in it as are on the deck. I will never buy ao many extra airplanes again for any model. I went nuts putting all the tiny decals on and painting them. Since my friend and his son served on the Big E I know it will have a good home. I was told a story about a friend of my friend on the ship who took a nap on top of one of the life rafts near the edge of the ship and fell overboard. He was never seen again. I also see that I forgot the rigging on the tower. Have to get that too and the 65 on the bow. Guess I'm not done yet after all. My Cutty Sark is getting further and further behind.

100_0001 (38).JPG

100_0002 (13).JPG

100_0003 (20).JPG

100_0004 (10).JPG

100_0009 (8).JPG

100_0011 (8).JPG

100_0013 (7).JPG

Last edited:
Can we say already congratulations for finishing the great model?
Hope to see than the final model with the small missing items..... - very good work

Thanks to Uwek, Fourseas and Shane for the nice comments. This model is a lot of work with some very tiny pieces but now that it's done I like it a lot more. I did receive the extra pieces that were lost along the way so I will now add them for the grand finally. My friend Luke will be here in another month or two and I need to get this ship ready for him and his son. It's amazing to me that I would know a father and son who served on this ship in the past. It will be a pleasure to hand this over to them this Fall.

Thank you Ettienne. It was a fun build as there is a lot you can add to it but the bad part was painting and detailing all the tiny airplanes. Takes a lot of time..

Back