THE BLACK PEARL (LEGO)

Hi Everyone, this is my first ever post on this forum. I have decided to join this forum as I have run aground with my project. The project in question is a 1:48 scale replica model of the Black pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean, made completely out of LEGO.

However as I said before, i've run into some issues some of which I hope people on this forum could help me out with.

For starters the build is 80% completed, the main structure of the ship is already built and will need no modications, the part that Im struggeling with are the details when it comes to the rigging of the ship itself. For example, what kind of materials for the sails should I use? I have tried linen but its very see through and translucent when holding it up to a lightsource. (which my understanding from sails is that it did not let light through, nor could you see the mast through the sails) So that is something im really struggling at the moment as it also has to be a fabric which can be easily dyed, the sails are black after all, but working with black cloth and black stitching from the get go is really difficult and besides they did dye the sails afterwards for the movie prop.

And then the most important part of any ship, the rigging. Well my questions are fairly simple: ''what size of rope should I use? which thickness looks right in scale 1:48? I just don't know I have attached some images from the ship used in the movies to get a close look at the rigging compared to a person. also are there some good tutorials on how to rig a full ship, and someone who explains properly how to do the seizings in the picture? I now have a rope that is 2mm in thickness

1695217422257.png

1695217537132.png

20230727_122235.jpg

20230727_122300.jpg

20230727_122323.jpg

touw dikte.png

For this scale and being a LEGO ship you might try a black t-shirt for sale material.

As for rigging line size, the black standing rigging is usually the heaver line, and running rigging for management of yards and sails is a light color and size.

Use what is available and looks good to your eye.

Having built a bunch of LEGO for my kids and as we often tell new modelers, "remember its a model and it don't have to be perfect".

Hi Everyone, this is my first ever post on this forum. I have decided to join this forum as I have run aground with my project. The project in question is a 1:48 scale replica model of the Black pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean, made completely out of LEGO.

However as I said before, i've run into some issues some of which I hope people on this forum could help me out with.

For starters the build is 80% completed, the main structure of the ship is already built and will need no modications, the part that Im struggeling with are the details when it comes to the rigging of the ship itself. For example, what kind of materials for the sails should I use? I have tried linen but its very see through and translucent when holding it up to a lightsource. (which my understanding from sails is that it did not let light through, nor could you see the mast through the sails) So that is something im really struggling at the moment as it also has to be a fabric which can be easily dyed, the sails are black after all, but working with black cloth and black stitching from the get go is really difficult and besides they did dye the sails afterwards for the movie prop.

And then the most important part of any ship, the rigging. Well my questions are fairly simple: ''what size of rope should I use? which thickness looks right in scale 1:48? I just don't know I have attached some images from the ship used in the movies to get a close look at the rigging compared to a person. also are there some good tutorials on how to rig a full ship, and someone who explains properly how to do the seizings in the picture? I now have a rope that is 2mm in thickness

View attachment 395556

View attachment 395558

View attachment 395569

View attachment 395570

View attachment 395571

View attachment 395572

Hallo @Kjeld
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back