The convoy ship Wappen von Hamburg 1669 - Corel SM28, scale 1:50

Wow, Peter - there is a lot to take in here. Plan A,B, C and so forth, almost sounds like my build log! First, congratulations with your subject choice - I don't even have to justify why I say that. Secondly, I really like the thinking that you are invested in. On the one hand, I love it, on the other hand, I need to caution you please not to go down the route of "historical accuracy". You will forever be chasing a shooting star - I speak from experience. Rather love what you build and build what you love and in doing so give full flight to your considerable build talents. I will follow this build with great interest, but not to give advice - but simply to enjoy! The very best of luck with your new project - she is a beautiful ship!
I especially appreciate the advice following "Chasing a shooting star..."Thumbsup

Hi Guys,

A small update and continuation of the WvH project. I had a lot to think about the construction of the bulkheads and partly frames construction with the approach of the Quinger drawings. I'm still figuring out some things along the way, but the main picture is ready.

One of the main aspects that I wanted to keep is the construction method of the hull designed by Corel. It's a nice system to gain an easy access to all the deck levels during the build.
Firstly I have to make all bulkheads from the drawings and 4 of the total 20 are not included or needed. This is bulkhead 7, 9, 11 and 13. I decided to make them anyway!

[IMG]

Second I give a view of the system that I am going to use. The picture below isn't 100% correct it's only to show how the system is going to be.
Each frame / bulkhead (green) is connected to a central part (yellow) which has the same height on all frames. This wil give me sturdy system to plank the hull on the outside. In a later stadium after planking the outside hull, I will remove the inner yellow part on each frame and only the green part will remain.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The central plate is next to figure out. It's not 100% correct, I need some adjustments to make on some of the slots. Each slot will accept a bulkhead later on.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

To be continued...

Peter

I had a lot to think about the construction of the bulkheads and partly frames construction with the approach of the Quinger drawings. I'm still figuring out some things along the way, but the main picture is ready.
Hi Peter. With this quote I see that you are almost at the same stages as I am with my new build. I found it very inspiring to read all the drawing and then form an idea of how the model will be built. It is difficult to visualize all your thoughts to give your fellow builders an idea of your imagination.
It’s going to be a nice and promising build.
Regards, Peter

Wow! An impressive thought-exercise. Once again this forum continues to delight me as I see modelers pushing the envelope in the pursuit of their vision. Loving it!

Hi Peter. With this quote I see that you are almost at the same stages as I am with my new build. I found it very inspiring to read all the drawing and then form an idea of how the model will be built. It is difficult to visualize all your thoughts to give your fellow builders an idea of your imagination.
It’s going to be a nice and promising build.
Regards, Peter

Hi Paul and Peter, thanks a lot for your support! ;)

Some say slow is good, safer, gives you time to think things over, re-measure everything, think twice and cut once....This is good advice.
The plans I'm working from arn't perfect, there are errors. The heights of the 1st deck level for instance is incorrect on the line drawings.
By going slow, re-measuring things out of frustration curiosity, I see the errors upfront and fix them so I hopefully safe myself a lot of trouble later on in the build phase.

Below the current state. I'm drawing each frame and checking it against the false keel and the other drawings I have. I marked the bulkheads yellow so you guys can see the bulkheads better. There isn't very much to show at this moment.
Above the 1st deck, the bulkheads are developing into frames.

photo 589589

Some say slow is good, safer, gives you time to think things over, re-measure everything, think twice and cut once....This is good advice.
The plans I'm working from arn't perfect, there are errors. The heights of the 1st deck level for instance is incorrect on the line drawings.
By going slow, re-measuring things out of frustration curiosity, I see the errors upfront and fix them so I hopefully safe myself a lot of trouble later on in the build phase.

Below the current state. I'm drawing each frame and checking it against the false keel and the other drawings I have. I marked the bulkheads yellow so you guys can see the bulkheads better. There isn't very much to show at this moment.
Above the 1st deck, the bulkheads are developing into frames.

photo 589589
Nice to see the reading and interpretation of the drawing and checking with the base part of your build, the false keel. To prevent for later problems. It’s time consuming but the check, check, double check will play off later.
Regards, Peter

Hi Peter, It seems that I have jumped the gun a bit. I have changed my PC a couple of times since the build and I now find that I have only kept photos of the finished model, the build ones have gone. I'm a bit of a hoarder so have kept my old computer, I'll try and start it up to see if that file still exists. Lovely model, I only recently gave it away. Ken
Hi Pter, A very nice start to your log. I have now found the photos that I mentioned of my Wappen build and as I told you I would, I have just started a sort of retro log. It’s a very simple out of the box type build, it won’t compare to yours but it may be of some interest.

Hi Pter, A very nice start to your log. I have now found the photos that I mentioned of my Wappen build and as I told you I would, I have just started a sort of retro log. It’s a very simple out of the box type build, it won’t compare to yours but it may be of some interest.
Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for creating a buildlog of your WvH and to take the effort! I really appreciate it!

Peter

After some killing workschedules I finally found some time last weekend to proceed with WvH.
As mentioned before I needed to sort out a few issues before proceeding and I did found one solution to one of the bigger problems.
How to convert these bulkheads to the small birch plywood sheets that I had on stock but didn't fit. So to prevent a lot of waste plywood I decided to make a sort of jogsaw puzzle of each bulkhead. Each bulkhead would consists out of a middle part and two outer parts (legs).
The connection between the inner and outer parts of the bulkhead is a strong joint.

I used two colors on the drawings to simply show the process. The inner middle part is yellow the outer parts are green.

[IMG]

After completing 20 or so frames / bulkheads it was time to cut them out. I used a simple hobby Exacto knife to do this. For the green outer parts I left a lot of paper surrounding the frame so the shape remains true to the plan.
With a simple glue stick the parts were glued on the plywood.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I used a plain hand jigsaw to extract the parts from the plywood plate and after that use my Proxxon disc sander to shape the parts.
Some area's can't be reached by the sander so I used my needle files to get the job done. Yes this seams like a lot of work and it is!

[IMG]

Some yellow and green jigsaw pieces ready for assembly.

[IMG]

Just for indication purpose, I dry-fitted a few parts to check if I made any errors along the way, At first glance everything looks fine so far and the shape of the hull becomes reality. I need to extract a lot more pieces from the plywood, but that will be for a next time!

[IMG]

Thanks for following this log and please feel free to ask me questions if you have any!

Peter

After some killing workschedules I finally found some time last weekend to proceed with WvH.
As mentioned before I needed to sort out a few issues before proceeding and I did found one solution to one of the bigger problems.
How to convert these bulkheads to the small birch plywood sheets that I had on stock but didn't fit. So to prevent a lot of waste plywood I decided to make a sort of jogsaw puzzle of each bulkhead. Each bulkhead would consists out of a middle part and two outer parts (legs).
The connection between the inner and outer parts of the bulkhead is a strong joint.

I used two colors on the drawings to simply show the process. The inner middle part is yellow the outer parts are green.

[IMG]

After completing 20 or so frames / bulkheads it was time to cut them out. I used a simple hobby Exacto knife to do this. For the green outer parts I left a lot of paper surrounding the frame so the shape remains true to the plan.
With a simple glue stick the parts were glued on the plywood.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I used a plain hand jigsaw to extract the parts from the plywood plate and after that use my Proxxon disc sander to shape the parts.
Some area's can't be reached by the sander so I used my needle files to get the job done. Yes this seams like a lot of work and it is!

[IMG]

Some yellow and green jigsaw pieces ready for assembly.

[IMG]

Just for indication purpose, I dry-fitted a few parts to check if I made any errors along the way, At first glance everything looks fine so far and the shape of the hull becomes reality. I need to extract a lot more pieces from the plywood, but that will be for a next time!

[IMG]

Thanks for following this log and please feel free to ask me questions if you have any!

Peter
It took some time and energy, but the result looks great, Peter.
Regards, Peter

Back