Before 1994, South Africa was the proud owner of three Daphne Class submarines. They were the SAS Maria van Riebeeck, SAS Emily Hobhouse and the SAS Johanna van der Merwe (SAS = South African Ship). Over time I have developed an interest in these submarines, but in particular the Maria van Riebeeck. The others had more "illustrious" careers, but "Maria" was the first lady to arrive here (Maria van Riebeeck was also the wife of Jan van Riebeeck who landed at the Cape in 1652 to start a halfway station at the foot of Africa in the name of the VOC).
I am intersted in doing a book on the Maria van Riebeeck in the SA Navy. I would need some background information on the Daphnes in general. Could anyone perhaps point me to some excellent research sources? It will be great to be able to go through some of the Original documents/correspondence related to their development and construction and perhaps to be able to contact those who designed the Daphnes (although many of them may not be with us anymore). Perhaps the question is vague but those with some info are welcome to pm me.
I am intersted in doing a book on the Maria van Riebeeck in the SA Navy. I would need some background information on the Daphnes in general. Could anyone perhaps point me to some excellent research sources? It will be great to be able to go through some of the Original documents/correspondence related to their development and construction and perhaps to be able to contact those who designed the Daphnes (although many of them may not be with us anymore). Perhaps the question is vague but those with some info are welcome to pm me.


