The Henry Grace a Dieu

My ship modeling club, Shipwrights of Central Ohio, has been asked to restore a ship model for a family in Cleveland. The model came to the USA at the turn of the 20th century when the owners grandfather emigrated from Germany. She had no name for the model and only knew it as a ship model sitting on a table in her grandfathers foyer in New York City.
I have included two photos (attached) one is of the model as it sits in her basement and the other of a model "Henry Grace a Dieu" that we found in a museum in Australia. We have sent queries to them for more information about their model. In our research we have found that a model of the "Great Harry" was displayed at the "Great Exhibition of 1851" at Hyde Park in London. We also have pictures of the model as displayed at the Exhibition. We believe that the owners ancestry may have acquired the model at the Exhibition.
Recognizing that the model may have historical significance, we are researching to determine two things:
1, Are there plans for the Henry Grace a Dieu-1514;
2, Is there a reference source or book on rigging a 16th century, five masted carrack like the "Great Harry" or similar British vessel.
We are looking at this as a club project, and have written to Greenwich and Australia for additional information. We could use help in acquiring knowledge of early 16th Century British ships that may help us.

Mumford Restore 1.JPEG Great Harry 1514-3.JPG

Appreciate your help in this endeavor. Thank you.

I do know that an Italian company called Mantua Sergal made a large scale kit of this ship, but it ceased production on the model over 25 years ago.
Perhaps you could search around for a second hand Mantua Sergal plan set. The ship was also referred to as the "great Harry."

Brian is correct Sergal used to make a Great Harry.This is not that vessel though.I believe this to be a model of Ark Royal 1587.Only contemporary etchings still exist of this vessel,but search Google images and I think you may find you agree.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Take a look at this page from Three Decks

wa.JPG

wb.JPG

The Source William Laid Clowes (1897) is also online available

My ship modeling club, Shipwrights of Central Ohio, has been asked to restore a ship model for a family in Cleveland. The model came to the USA at the turn of the 20th century when the owners grandfather emigrated from Germany. She had no name for the model and only knew it as a ship model sitting on a table in her grandfathers foyer in New York City.
I have included two photos (attached) one is of the model as it sits in her basement and the other of a model "Henry Grace a Dieu" that we found in a museum in Australia. We have sent queries to them for more information about their model. In our research we have found that a model of the "Great Harry" was displayed at the "Great Exhibition of 1851" at Hyde Park in London. We also have pictures of the model as displayed at the Exhibition. We believe that the owners ancestry may have acquired the model at the Exhibition.
Recognizing that the model may have historical significance, we are researching to determine two things:
2, Is there a reference source or book on rigging a 16th century, five masted carrack like the "Great Harry" or similar British vessel.
We are looking at this as a club project, and have written to Greenwich and Australia for additional information. We could use help in acquiring knowledge of early 16th Century British ships that may help us.

View attachment 155591 View attachment 155592

Hallo @Feathermerchant
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I am currently building the Caldercraft version of the Mary Rose. Perhaps if you contact them or JoTika they may be kind enough to let you have the rigging plans. Might be a good starter for you.

I have the Mary Rose too. It appears to be a smaller version of The Great Harry (Sergal), which I built 43 years ago. I purchased it again this evening and can't wait to put her together again. I have seen the plans/instructions for the Great Harry for sale online. You should contact whoever you purchased the kit from and let then know there were no plans/instructions with the kit. It's only right that they obtain them for you.

Hallo @Feathermerchant
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 155591 View attachment 155592

Hallo @Feathermerchant
today it is your 85th Birthday
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Back