Thread or "Rope"

I know that for the most part, I should (and will) use quality rope, no doubt from ropesofscale.com on my Ragusian Carrack. There is really no substitute for the larger sizes of quality rope. But for the 0.25mm size that is required for most of my ratlines I'm probably going to use15 Wt polyester like Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP Heavy Thread ($1.79 for 125 yards) for the larger lines (about 0.25mm diameter) and 30 Wt Gutermann Top Stitch Heavy Duty Thread ($1.19 for 33 yards) for the smaller lines (about 0.18mm diameter). I feel confident that those will be fine for ratlines, at least.

However, I also require about 26 yards (I calculate) of 0.25mm line for the smaller running rigging in tan, and at least 5 yards or so in brown or black. Those will cost me $5.26 for each 6 yards from RopesOfScale, or about $26 total (compared to $2 to $3 for the thread).

I am not questioning the quality or price of RopesOfScale or other similar suppliers. I am asking if the difference in quality between them and the thread listed FOR THIS SIZE will be 1) visible and 2) will make a difference in the ease of working with the ropes. The larger ropes are not in question: I'll buy the good stuff.

I'm trying to buy good stuff. But for example, Olha's recommended thread for seizing thread would cost me about $40, ordering from Germany or Australia, while the same size local thread cost about $4. I'll have to make do for seizing.

But if I can save $22 or so by using thread for the smaller rigging lines, I'd like to do it, depending on the "consequences". What are your thoughts?

Back