Timber from logs

The problem with this is on the larger bandsaw the fence is sometimes taller than the wood we are cutting down. The blade guide can only go as low as the top of the fence. If this makes sense. A smaller fence is needed!! Here is a quick picture of my Admiral's giant old rig. Sorry for the messy shop... This is HER shop and not mine!! LOL

View attachment 165818
Or you/she can add a board to lower fence face and space it back to clear the blade guide.

Your Admiral has her own wood shop? Does she let you borrow her tools if you promise to use and clean them when done?

spread in garden
Our garden is nothing but weeds!!! It takes me 2 days to mow the 3 acres of what she calls a "yard" on my 54" John Deere. We live on a farm. We have far too many other things to do than care about how things look outside!! HAHAHAHAHA....

The problem with this is on the larger bandsaw the fence is sometimes taller than the wood we are cutting down. The blade guide can only go as low as the top of the fence. If this makes sense. A smaller fence is needed!! Here is a quick picture of my Admiral's giant old rig. Sorry for the messy shop... This is HER shop and not mine!! LOL

View attachment 165818

Mike

looking at your pic it not possible to rotate the guide 90 degrees(anti clockwise in your pic) and use the other T slot?This will drastically reduce the guide height for narrower workpieces

Kind Regards

Nigel

@Maarten: Maybe not essential for the actual job but I would anyway lower the blade guide to get it as close to the material as possible
I have the blade guide set for sawing the full log on the picture only the half log is shown for sawing quarters. As the billets wil deformate due to drying process the billet sawing is not that critical.

When resawing the billets I will ofcourse put the blade guide as close as possible.

Hi Nigel,
Yes I already do have a proxxon thicknesser and a full size planer.
If the wood is dry and I need it for my next project I resaw and plane it to size from the billets.
The billets are now just for drying.

Ok.. you guys got me excited so I decided to take a piece of boxwood I sliced up, cut a plank and mill it down!!! Putting the fence on the bandsaw to the lowest height made it so much easier!!!! I easily sliced a 1/16" rough plank off my 1/2" billet of boxwood. Then I ran it through the Admiral's thickness sander a few times until I got a nice finished scale plank of boxwood...... wow!!!

The Admiral's thickness sander has a motorized belt feeder. The sander can adjust in 1/64" increments. Dust extraction is handled by her portable Grizzly. Notice her little scroll-saw under the bench.... Shhhhh, I might have to grab that thing and take it to my shop!!
IMG_0357.jpg

The boxwood plank came out right at 1/32". This is what nice tools can do for an amateur hack like me!!
IMG_0358.jpg

I notice a custom shop fabricated scale plank is much more flexible than any "kit" plank. Interesting....
IMG_0359.jpg

1/2" x 1/32" boxwood plank....
IMG_0360.jpg

View attachment 165818
Isn't NC a joint property marriage state, what's your is hers and what's hers is hers!

Just wondering why you have two wood shops at home.

Just wondering why you have two wood shops at home.
His and Her shops!!!

His = Shop designed for model building and motorcycle wrenching
Hers = Full-sized wood shop not yet completed (her post retirement job)

NC joint property does not apply to ships at sea..... LOLOLOL.. You have not met my Admiral...

Add a piece of wood that is not as tall to the fence so the fence clears the blade guides and guard. You can make it any height you want. I drilled two holes through the fence so I can attach any height fence extension I need.

EJ

Last edited:
Here's my setup.
16" three wheel band saw

Evu6ZiY.jpg

Contractors table saw

qnUoxaG.jpg

12 1/2" planer

HIuzMcI.jpg

4 inch jointer

DDdSIuE.jpg

12" power mitre box

y6XOmer.jpg

mini 2" table saw

ldV74m2.jpg

Mini mitre box

m9BYGFs.jpg

5" disk sander.

D0aoezr.jpg

Also have 10" radial arm saw, 48" wood turning lathe, 1 X 42 belt sander, 6" X 9" belt / disk sander, floor mounted drill press, spindle shaper, two - scroll saws, 3 bench grinders. Plus machinery used in the building trades such as an aluminum brake, cement mixer, mortar mixer etc, just about any tool used in the building trades. Much of the stuff I don't use much any more, but the cash value is quite low so I just keep it around. Plus, I still do some smaller work for past customers. I told myself I would quit doing builder's work when I turned 70, but now I'm pushing 80 and still going. Even after open heart surgery last winter.

Old carpenters never really retire. They just fade slowly into the woodwork.

Remember, all this was collected over a 45 year period when I was self employed as a custom home builder. The hand power tools and hand tools are just too numerous to list.

EJ

Back