TITANIC 1:200 scale. RIGGING and LIGHTING

Hi I'm in the process of doing research Into all the paints and stuff needed for the trumpeter TITANIC 1:200 scale. While researching I notice people say that there are no instructions for the rigging and if like to ask if anyone has a nice simple but detailed guide to doing the rigging on this kit ?

Also I've heard mixed reviews on the supplied lighting kit so I'm curious to know what are people's recommendations as a alternative plus I want to light up the main hull once port holes drilled.

Hi Paul,

I am working on my model at present, but am a ways off getting to the rigging at present, so will be watching your post to see what responses you get. In respect to the lighting; to light the hull I am using various sizes of clear fibre optic line, cut to small lengths and inserted into the portholes, with LED lighting strips inside the hull to provide the illumination. I've got all the parts but haven't started on that task as yet, although all my portholes are now drilled out. :)

I have read a number of reviews on the lighting kit that comes with the model, and will probably use selected parts in places. One thing I will be disregarding is the drilling of holes in the upper decks to insert bulbs to light the funnels. Not only would that detract from the accuracy of the model, but the actual ship didn't have the funnels illuminated (according to research I have done).

If you don't have it, highly recommend getting the 'Titanic - The Ship Magnificent' books. They are an awesome research tool.

Good luck with your build. Please start up a build log to document your progress.

Kindest regards,
Steve

Thank you for your reply. I've still yet to get the model but I've researched tons into getting It right and it's literally rigging and lighting that I'm left to decide what and how to do hence this post for help and opinions of others. The lighting of the funnels I have given heavy thought into and although (as far as we know) it's not historically accurate to have lights around the base of the funnels, I can't deny that any kits I've seen online with the lights lit up around the base of the funnels does seem to have a nice finishing touch to it so I will more than likely use the lights for the funnel bases just because I personally like the effect. But if anyone asks if that's historically accurate, i can say as far as as history tells us no but at the same time there may be a little chance there was lights.
I have a painting of the titanic that shows the funnels lit at the bases and it does look lovely.

Don't think I've talked so much about lights and funnels before lol.

Hi Paul,
Personalising a model, whether it's historically accurate or not, is what makes this type of hobby so enjoyable.
You've probably covered this in your research, but I can recommend the ScaleDecks addition and the KA after market detail up set. I have both and am very impressed with the quality and what the two upgrades bring to the model.
Re the funnel lights, when you get the kit you'll see what I mean about the size of them and where they are placed. If you do decided to light the funnels, I'm sure there are more 'realistic' options out there.

In respect to researching model lighting, you could look here: https://evandesigns.com/collections/hobby-leds for some ideas.

Cheers for now.

Hi Paul,
Personalising a model, whether it's historically accurate or not, is what makes this type of hobby so enjoyable.
You've probably covered this in your research, but I can recommend the ScaleDecks addition and the KA after market detail up set. I have both and am very impressed with the quality and what the two upgrades bring to the model.
Re the funnel lights, when you get the kit you'll see what I mean about the size of them and where they are placed. If you do decided to light the funnels, I'm sure there are more 'realistic' options out there.

In respect to researching model lighting, you could look here: https://evandesigns.com/collections/hobby-leds for some ideas.

Cheers for now.
I agree and that's what I love about this hobby. I've made models from scratch many many times and it's always a thrill when finished and I can say I did that from the ground up and it's mine. The whole lighting thing at the bases of the funnels on weather the actual ship had lights at the bases or not is up for debate at the end of the day so it's all down to personal preference, but any painting or decorative plate I own that has the titanic on it set at night time, is always painted with lights lighting up the funnels and I honestly can't imagine the funnels not being illuminated. it's also a nice touch I think as it seems odd to me that you'd have the hull lit up in places and the upper decks also lit but then to have nothing highlight the towering funnels just seems strange, but as I say it's personal preference which we all have and I respect that :).

Looking at the images on magic scale models website of there lighting kit I notice that the lights for the funnels are in what looks like a triangle box tipped on its side and this has gave me an idea. It will be a bit of a fiddly job but in order to cut costs and use what lights are in the box then I'd say make these box's from a thin card and paint them white. They would be a bit bigger of course than the ones on this websites kit due to the bulb in the kit being bigger but building this box around it would help illuminate the funnels but will stop the lights being on full show from the other side because of the back of the box. The only thing with this kit on the website that I'm 50 50 on is even though it looks a nice lighting kit, it's to modern day coloured as the colour of lights back in the Edwardian period would of been of yellowish or orangeish tone, so the lights that come with the kit seem more to that style of colour but that's my personal opinion of course. Only thing I'm considering is the green and red light for the port and starboard box's by the bridge as I'm sure the light on the side of them boxs should be the only thing lit up and jot the entire box itself but correct me if I'm wrong. Ive done on my phone (as I'm currently traveling on train) a very not so good diagram of my box idea to house the bulbs that come with the kit around the funnel bases if anyone interested and included the screenshots from the website to show where my idea is from.
Screenshot_20210813-115113.pngScreenshot_20210813-114857.png

Attachments

• Untitled3_20210813124131.png
    Untitled3_20210813124131.png
    130 KB · Views: 9
Looking at the images on magic scale models website of there lighting kit I notice that the lights for the funnels are in what looks like a triangle box tipped on its side and this has gave me an idea. It will be a bit of a fiddly job but in order to cut costs and use what lights are in the box then I'd say make these box's from a thin card and paint them white. They would be a bit bigger of course than the ones on this websites kit due to the bulb in the kit being bigger but building this box around it would help illuminate the funnels but will stop the lights being on full show from the other side because of the back of the box. The only thing with this kit on the website that I'm 50 50 on is even though it looks a nice lighting kit, it's to modern day coloured as the colour of lights back in the Edwardian period would of been of yellowish or orangeish tone, so the lights that come with the kit seem more to that style of colour but that's my personal opinion of course. Only thing I'm considering is the green and red light for the port and starboard box's by the bridge as I'm sure the light on the side of them boxs should be the only thing lit up and jot the entire box itself but correct me if I'm wrong. Ive done on my phone (as I'm currently traveling on train) a very not so good diagram of my box idea to house the bulbs that come with the kit around the funnel bases if anyone interested and included the screenshots from the website to show where my idea is from.
View attachment 250050View attachment 250051
Not a bad idea. As you said, would be fiddly work but if you can re-purpose items in the LED kit you get with the model, why not. ;-)

Hi I'm in the process of doing research Into all the paints and stuff needed for the trumpeter TITANIC 1:200 scale. While researching I notice people say that there are no instructions for the rigging and if like to ask if anyone has a nice simple but detailed guide to doing the rigging on this kit ?

Also I've heard mixed reviews on the supplied lighting kit so I'm curious to know what are people's recommendations as a alternative plus I want to light up the main hull once port holes drilled.
Hallo @Paul Beard
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back