Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic from Liebre

I decided to start a build log for this project even though I have another project underway, which I will finish later this year
I received the kit from a friend for Christmas a few years ago.

Partly because of the size of the model and the available space, I hesitated to start with this.

I only do the construction in the summer period, working with Ca glue gives me an allergic reaction, so the construction of this will take many years. ...

The kit itself is full of inaccuracies and errors as I have encountered before from Trumpeter and, according to experts, the worst from the Trumpeter line...

But I saw the level of detail for a scale 1:200 as a challenge.
Where this is possible make adjustments.

I also want to add lighting to the model where I can regulate the light with a dimmer.

I will try to do justice to the Titanic, but I will probably fall short in complete historical accuracy....

The Trumpeter Hull

I think Trumpeter has done a very reasonable job of representing this in their one piece hull.

Unfortunately, this kit suffers from inaccuracies on the underside that seem inherent to all 1/200 single-cast hulls from Trumpeter.

The detailing of the plating is missing and I decided to apply it myself.

In addition, I cut off the thick hinges to replace the rudder. for a tailored version.
There are plenty available on the web to apply the plating yourself.
I made them from 0.2 mm Evergreen plates, and I also closed and sanded some kit portholes that were not supposed to be there with Putty.

tekening (1).jpgStern.jpgStren Compleet.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jim,

Of course I don't mind sitting, the front row of seats is still completely available...

I think it could be fun.
All decks are sanded down, to remove the fixed parts from the kit and replace them with the KA upgrade set
I think I will only use the decks and cabins and about 2% from the kit.

In addition, I would like to show part of the interior where possible, based on the photos that are available

Although there is a lot to be found on the World Wide Web, I will add information gained from my research and my own findings, which I will also apply to the Titanic.

Regards Henk

Last edited:
I have used the photos of Graham Boyd who has made a great set of detailed references of the portholes'

I have drilled out the portholes by hand (to prevent them from enlarging with heat)

Applied with drilling out
1mm, 1.2 mm, 1.5 mm, 2 mm, 2.5 and 3 mm

These are the sizes that are available and applied in fiber.

I have drilled out all the holes, but did not insert fiber everywhere, these portholes are covered in black on the inside in accordance with the attached photo
365592045_2553614474786033_1130484143192774574_n.jpgflat.jpgporthole.jpgtekening (2).jpg

Last edited:
Hull painting
All paints are Vallejo brand

Primer: Panzer Gray (73.603)

Lower hull:
“Old Rose” + “Amaranth Red” (Ratio 80/20) ( Model color no 9 and Model color no 130)
Mixed and a bottle and 50% diluted

Hull Top:
“Black Gray (Model Color 168), (50% diluted)
I find “Black Gray” Vallejo to be perfect choice.

Superstructure and all other white parts:
White Grey” (Vallejo Air no. 71.119)

Sheer line:
1.8 mm applied
(Model color no. 016)

IMG_1929.JPGIMG_1995.JPG

Last edited:
Hull painting
All paints are Vallejo brand

Primer: Panzer Gray (73.603)

Lower hull:
“Old Rose” + “Amaranth Red” (Ratio 80/20) ( Model color no 9 and Model color no 130)
Mixed and a bottle and 50% diluted

Hull Top:
“Black Gray (Model Color 168), (50% diluted)
I find “Black Gray” Vallejo to be perfect choice.

Superstructure and all other white parts:
White Grey” (Vallejo Air no. 71.119)

Sheer line:
1.8 mm applied
(Model color no. 016)

View attachment 450091View attachment 450092
I particularly like the color of the lower hull, it gives the hull an authentic appearance, although I don't know if it's "historically correct".

I am pleased you started this blog; especially all your customizations make your blog worth following. Also the scale, 1:200, which gives me the creeps, presents a great challenge.

Last edited:
As soon as I finish my current helicopter, I will resurrect my old steamer too. I don't know if it's trumpeters worst model for being correct, I strongly doubt it actually, but it has quite a few mistakes. I have a few of their airplanes, and the F-105 and A-10 both need an astounding amount of aftermarket to make them even close to looking like the real thing...

Your choices of color is very convincing, I like it! Also the blanking off of portholes, I will copy that idea on my own hull! I have drilled my holes out too, I used the Tamiya drill, because it is slow, and didn't create any melting. I'm not going for 100% authenticity, I'm more of a "TLAR" modeller (That looks about right), so it'll do. I was considering painting the inside of the hull black as well, but now it seems a waste of paint... Hmm. Anyway, swell progress, and I will keep a close eye!

Back