Tuckerton Ships Building

I was born and raised in New Jersey. First boat ride I remember was aboard my Uncles' Richardson cruiser somewhere in the late forties. Six years in the US Navy fortified my interests.
So, some 70 years later here I am still in New Jersey, living on the waters' edge.
I love the ocean and all thing nautical. I've always had a fascination with sailing ships and the many stories surrounding them.
Building wooden ships was a big industry here in Tuckerton, on the Creek, in the old days. (1784-1929) One example of a type built here would be the Artesania Latina kit, S.A. Harvey. (Schooner).
Of course, many Sloops, Catboats, Garveys and SneakBoxes were also built.

Attachments

• DBB-Local-Ship-Building.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 78
Thanks to all for the very nice comments and "likes"
I have one question: I see that many of you have a Navy rating insignia below your picture or avatar. How are these determined? ( I ask because mine shows an E-3 seaman. I was E-5 Aerographers Mate.) Or are these determined by length of time as a member?
Thanks guys

Thanks to all for the very nice comments and "likes"
I have one question: I see that many of you have a Navy rating insignia below your picture or avatar. How are these determined? ( I ask because mine shows an E-3 seaman. I was E-5 Aerographers Mate.) Or are these determined by length of time as a member?
Thanks guys
Thank you for your question, Pete. Yeah...the badge (Navy rating insignia) is how active you are on the forum, It's not how long you have been a member. Participating in conversations, creating new posts, and even your reaction scores all reflect your insignia.

Hi Peso Pete. I am from Farmingdale New Jersey. About 45 miles away. Sometime in the spring/summer when we go down that area I may contact you for lunch,. My treat. This forum is fantastic. You converse with people from 45 miles away to 8000 miles away. Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy & Healthy New Year,

I was born and raised in New Jersey. First boat ride I remember was aboard my Uncles' Richardson cruiser somewhere in the late forties. Six years in the US Navy fortified my interests.
So, some 70 years later here I am still in New Jersey, living on the waters' edge.
I love the ocean and all thing nautical. I've always had a fascination with sailing ships and the many stories surrounding them.
Building wooden ships was a big industry here in Tuckerton, on the Creek, in the old days. (1784-1929) One example of a type built here would be the Artesania Latina kit, S.A. Harvey. (Schooner).
Of course, many Sloops, Catboats, Garveys and SneakBoxes were also built.
Cool! Thanks for the attachment! Now I know what a "Sneakbox" is!
I have a few boards of Atlantic Cedar (cutoffs from a project at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum boatyard). Lovely stuff. A little soft, it dings easily. I hope one day to use it in the construction of the Model Shipways whale boat I have in my stash. the wood has an almost iridescent golden color. Just beautiful when finished with a clear semigloss.
I am so glad you came on board; you have brought a treasure trove with at the first go!

BTW a very merry Christmas, and happy Holidays to you too!:D

Pete

Back