Turnbuckles

Not sure of when. But as a new modeler building the Aroura by Occre I got a chuckle when I saw your post. The thought of using deadeyes to support the shrouds and ratlines freaked me out so I opted to use turnbuckles instead. Came out great…..although I’m sure others would cringe. But, alas, sometimes you have to do what you have to do to move forward. Next time, deadeyes for sur.

Not sure of when. But as a new modeler building the Aroura by Occre I got a chuckle when I saw your post. The thought of using deadeyes to support the shrouds and ratlines freaked me out so I opted to use turnbuckles instead. Came out great…..although I’m sure others would cringe. But, alas, sometimes you have to do what you have to do to move forward. Next time, deadeyes for sur.
Knowledge is evolution, and skill comes with practice. Building ships is the pursuit of both. Enjoy the journey!!

Dear Rocky Mountain High and dry, ;)
I'm pretty sure they go back at least as far as the 1880's maybe even the seventies, Definitely the 1890s. Looking up pictures of industrial age ships and yachts may well narrow it down for you. Let us know what you find out!

Happy modelling, and thanks for the complements . Much appreciated!

Pete

Dear Rocky Mountain High and dry, ;)
I'm pretty sure they go back at least as far as the 1880's maybe even the seventies, Definitely the 1890s. Looking up pictures of industrial age ships and yachts may well narrow it down for you. Let us know what you find out!

Happy modelling, and thanks for the complements . Much appreciated!

Pete
Yeah at 8,700 ft, it all runs down hill from here. Hope your safe!

Not so close to the sea to be washed away, so dry as to be immolated in a cloud of smoke nor do we get hammered by hurricanes. We're kind of in a mid Atlantic Goldilocks zone...for the time being. About 35miles north of D.C.
Thanks for the good wishes. Same to you!:)

Pete

We're pretty close to some mountains here, but they're of the ancient, well worn eastern type. Hardly qualify as foothills to where you are.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the info. I will check it out.:)
Pete

For models, Blue jacket has cast Britannia metal ones. If the scale allows, you can make them with brass strip, and small diameter brass rod. Or brass tubing and rod.
Some soldering may be required. I think I recently saw something useful on this subject here on SOS.

So where are turnbuckle available?
here some links

There are 54 of us Rocky Mountain Shipwrights meeting once a month at the Rockler Woodworking store in Denver (only a mile-high). seems like sea water can flow in the vain of mountaineers as well as in the vails of flat-landers! Read all about us at https://rockymountainshpwrights.org, and join us if you're in the area.
Martin, Thank you regarding the Denver ship club! Sorry, I just saw your post. I work every Thurs, Fri and Sat. Will definitely make the effort!
For models, Blue jacket has cast Britannia metal ones. If the scale allows, you can make them with brass strip, and small diameter brass rod. Or brass tubing and rod.
Some soldering may be required. I think I recently saw something useful on this subject here on SOS.
Peter, I will definitely be making my own. Wanted to make sure I was in the ballpark timeline wise to their use.
here some links

Jim, as always, you're the man with the resources! thank you for always sharing!

Does anyone know when the first turnbuckles were introduced in ship building? I'm building the Endurance, thought about incorporating them on the static wires that support the smoke stack.

i would put the use of turnbuckles back around the 1830s maybe the 1820s on the Great Lakes for sure they were uued in the 1840s you can see them in the Alvin clark built in the 1840s so if they were already in use by the 1840s you would think they would go back earlier.

you can see them pointed to with the red arrows

photo1.jpg
a closeup

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Last edited:
i would put the use of turnbuckles back around the 1830s maybe the 1820s on the Great Lakes for sure they were uued in the 1840s you can see them in the Alvin clark built in the 1840s so if they were already in use by the 1840s you would think they would go back earlier.

you can see them pointed to with the red arrows

View attachment 386135
a closeup

View attachment 386134

View attachment 386133
Great photos of the turnbuckles! Thank you Dave!

Back