Tying blocks to eyebolts

Hi all
I'm working on the 1/82 scale diana and was wondering how you guys tye a block directly to an eyebolt.
Thanks.

Everyone has a different way , depending on how much room you have to work with. When space is tight I tie the block to the eyebolt off ship, then place it in the drilled hole, other times I rig the block before fitting it to the deck. Again, it’s all about space

Everyone has a different way , depending on how much room you have to work with. When space is tight I tie the block to the eyebolt off ship, then place it in the drilled hole, other times I rig the block before fitting it to the deck. Again, it’s all about space
It may depend upon the use of the line in question.. . if it is a running line that is temporarily attached a line with a small hook on the end may simulate the use but one that is to be a permanent ending it may want to be spliced before setting the bolt in the deck or other structure. Just a thought that may not be correct but stems from my boat racing/rigging setup before setting out and the type of a snap hook with a closer for some lines being doubled back from a single sheave for hand control. PT-2 It probably depends in the end upon the model being built and the function of the fall.

When I was talking about small tight working space, a major mistake I made was not rigging the main blocks to the deck long before steeping the masts, even in this case you still need to use a line much longer than you need because at this stage you do not know the what the length will be once your ready to use it. all speaking from experience of what I should have done. tight space example for my pp2.JPGpp3.JPG Snake build

When I was talking about small tight working space, a major mistake I made was not rigging the main blocks to the deck long before steeping the masts, even in this case you still need to use a line much longer than you need because at this stage you do not know the what the length will be once your ready to use it. all speaking from experience of what I should have done. tight space example for my View attachment 170966View attachment 170967 Snake build
You are not alone in with this late realization. I have been having the same learning experience with an old Constructo Pilot Boat. I was trying to work up the rigging for outhauls and down hauls that were not part of the kit and added numerous falls to deck locations that I finally determined I could not fully envision so I started running the bowsprit jibs afterward to logical positions on the deck and preset eyebolts and turning blocks related to belaying pins. Problem was that often the deck eyebolt, forward of the turning block made threading the sheet through it was impossible so I had to pull out the eyebolts in several locations and now hard to access locations with masts, booms and yards above with the long lengths of falls that I had anticipated. Only a few sheets had to be replaced. This back and forth rigging really adds time and some unwanted damage requiring repairs that actually look more like a working vessel now in a repair yard. . . working and a bit sea worn which was my initial intent anyway and not a fully pristine showcase piece of work. We all have our lessons learned to not repeat some things as we move forward in our builds. Great looking ship though with a lot of small detail. Well done!!! PT-2

Back