Tying off lanyards

I've figured out how to tie off the lanyards on the shrouds but I'm puzzled about the lanyards on collars and stays and such. Most, if not all, of the pictures in threads show the lanyard reeved(roved?) through hearts a number of times and then wrapped back on itself much like a hank of rope is done. Lees says on page 40 that the lanyard was reeved through the hearts until it was used up and then seized back on itself. Is this a time period thing or just shipwrights choice?
A similar question. When seizing is there a specific number of wraps. Lees on page 161 shows a few seizings with between 7-10 wraps and then two or three lengthwise wraps(fraps?). Is that kind of standard?

I found this in Steel's "Elements of Masts, Sails and Rigging" while looking for something else.
"SEIZING is joining together two ropes, or different parts of one, with small rope, line, or spunyarn, by taking several close turns round them, from six to ten, according to the size of the rope: they are strained tight. The lower turns have always one more than the riding or upper turns; two turns are taken across the seizing, between the two ropes seized; the end is taken under the last turn; hove tight; and knotted, close to the jambing turn, if large, with a wall knot crowned, and if small, with an over-hand knot, and cut off. Seizings to the double straps of blocks are crossed each way with two turns."

That is a good point, as, I guess, I never gave that much thought. I guess I just cheated and only did it by "representation" by wrapping the seized lines by using a separate line to gather them. But don't tell anyone that I did this - Ha - I know this will be read by others.
Now, what would be more impressive is how they did this in real life.

That is a good point, as, I guess, I never gave that much thought. I guess I just cheated and only did it by "representation" by wrapping the seized lines by using a separate line to gather them. But don't tell anyone that I did this - Ha - I know this will be read by others.
Now, what would be more impressive is how they did this in real life.
I am a partner in crime…I do the same thing… :)

Could you post a picture of the end result? I'm not above "cheating". I'm just puzzled as to what to do with the loose ends. Do you just use a drop of CA or PVA and let the end hang down?

I secure the lanyard at the bottom with a half knot and then wrap the lanyard around the two seized ropes and take another half knot at the top. Put a drop of glue (Titebond or Elmers) at the top and bottom of the seizing so it won't come undone. Clip off any hanging lanyard at top and bottom and clip the second of the two seized ropes at the end of the lanyard seizing. Got that?

Uhh, no. Are you talking about shroud lanyards? What I'm working on is the lanyard between the collar and the stay or actually anywhere that hearts are used instead of deadeyes. (I think)

Back