Type VII u-boat 1/56 Design in MDF and Card... wood I guess?

Some may know, but I'm guessing most don't, that I design models for Miniature Scenery, a company that produces wargaming related items in 28 -32mm (1/56) scale. Our Primary medium of choice is Laser cut 3mm MDF and 1mm boxboard. Which means that the models we make are a bit of a compromise between limitations in material, ease of construction and overall levels of detail. I can't, for example, detail models to the tiniest detail, as the materials and associated parts count would be somewhat beyond our target market.

Sometimes, however, I need to do the right thing.

There are a few U-boats available in this scale, they are all wildly inaccurate and over-simplified for my taste. Now, I get that many of the wargaming community don't care that much, and just want a thing that they are happy to call a U-boat and play games. Which is fine. That, however, is not what I do.

So, Plans, references, books and sketchuping occurred. The project is actually pretty advanced, and in the final test build stages, but I thought you guys may be interested.

Screenshot 2021-02-06 102010.jpg

There will be 3 versions available. An easy build with simplified parts and reduced details for the gamer who just wants a submarine.

A more complex model with as much detail as I can squeeze out of the material and still keep it buildable.

....and a third version that comes with a bunch of 3D printed parts like the deck guns a bridge details.

Screenshot 2021-01-20 102321.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-24 103925.jpg

Some details need to be thickened up for durability during gameplay, like parts of the deck gun, for example.

HDvStandard.jpg

and finally, the HD version will come with a nifty, cargo accessory.

136704593_1551144268418319_5731235317793215173_n.jpg

...which there is absolutely no way to fit inside the boat.

Back