Unicorn 1/48th scale Bonhomme Richard (Swiss Pear)

I am a bit disappointed, I set you up for the perfect comeback with the rum joke, but not one person took the bait. You guy's really need to brush up on your pop culture jokes. There has to be one Pirates of the Caribbean fan in here.

Onward! I have made some progress! The next step call for planking the two lower decks, the aft end of gun deck 1 and the whole of gun deck 2. The designer didn't really mean for you to detail out the aft areas because the windows in the galleries are just for show, there isn't anything inside the aft cabins. I intend to change that, but I don't know to what level, yet. I do know I wanted more experience planking a deck before I started on the big main deck. The decks themselves are 2mm plywood that you are supposed to plank with pear strips that are provided. I decided to use Alaskan Cedar instead for the contrast. The decks come in 2 parts for the lower deck and 4 parts for the upper. I used masking tape to tape them together for planking.

View attachment 369367View attachment 369368

I bought some 5/32" and 1/4" billets from Dave. These came thicknessed to the proper deck plank width I wanted, but I needed to make my own planks from them. I cut them on the Byrnes saw, but I think I need more practice because my plank thickness repeatability is dreadful. At the very least I might need a Byrnes thickness sander to boot. I was able to use one of my Veritas mini tools, an end planer to clean up the rough sawn edges of the billets from Dave.

View attachment 369371View attachment 369369View attachment 369370

The results were some nibbing strake width planks and some regular planks.
View attachment 369372
He is where I need practice. I started the nibbing strake from the end, but I soon found out I should start them from midships and work aft. The geometry doesn't wrok the other way around.
View attachment 369373View attachment 369374

View attachment 369375View attachment 369376

But with that figured out, I moved on to planking from the center out. Because this has to remain two parts until it is installed, it took some doing but I was able to glue the two strakes just outside the centerline like this:

View attachment 369378View attachment 369379View attachment 369377

I went back and glued the center one to one side of the deck later on. Then I worked my way form the center out, planking as I went. Here you can start to see the board thickness problem really stand out.

View attachment 369380View attachment 369381

Next I started cutting in the nibbed planks. This was quite enjoyable for me.
View attachment 369382View attachment 369383

View attachment 369384View attachment 369385

View attachment 369386View attachment 369387
View attachment 369388
You might see a couple spots where I practiced with the mini cabinet scraper to even out the boards midway through. When I finished planking the first thing I did was to scrape the whole thing down to a uniform thickness.
View attachment 369389
Here is the finished scraping. Because of the scale and the multiple directions of the wood grain, you might see a couple spots where I scraped against the grain, but unfortunately, I had little choice at this point.
View attachment 369390
Only thing left is to sand it et, voila! I would give it a personal 7 out of 10 for a first time doing my own planks and doing nibbing. I am unsure if I want to do trennels at this point, but I might. I still have that whole main deck to do, so it might be something I distract myself from that with.
View attachment 369391
Very nice work, beautiful result, congratulations !

Very good work - the cedar is a real good solution

Placing the trennels can be simple or complex depending on location and desired outcome.

For simple representation, I use a fine point awl, or needle and make holes using a ruler to keep lines across the deck straight. Then come back with a sharp pencil and just twist in the dimple to darken the hole.

For larger scale ships or top deck in plain view you can get more realistic with toothpicks or other methods folks have used.

So this won't be a build log for a little while, I am working on a couple other things to improve my skills before I tackle these big ones, but I thought I'd do an unboxing of the kit to get things started. Here's box 1, part 1:
Hallo @rtwpsom2
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day - are you still working on the Bonhomme?

On and off, I am still planking the upper deck, it's a slow process.

Thank you for the b-day wishes.

Back