Unusual Nautical Knick-Knacks

Hello Everyone,

I am sure that I am like everyone else in that while we are doing research for a particular ship, we may stumble upon something that will grab our attention. I was searching for a painting by Francis Swaine (1725–1782) who was an English marine painter. The one painting I was searching for was titled, 'Victory' leaving the Channel in 1793 in which the HMS Victory was not yet painted her traditional colors during the Time of Trafalgar. I was able to find the painting on the, Royal Museums Greenwich's (RMG) website.

Francis Swaine HMS Victory leaving the Channel in 1793.jpg

While at the RMG website I also stumbled on this other painting that I thought would make for a nice painting on a bulkhead within the Captain's Quarters (Hint, Hint).
Francis Swaine Naval Review at Spithead, 1767.jpg

Another painting with the intention of using in a Captain's quarters.

Framed Francis Swaine Painting.jpg

While at this current web address, I also saw something about the ship wreck of the "Foudroyant", one of Nelson's flagships. So like anyone else, I started going down that rabbit hole and found what I thought was a great, "Nautical Knick-Knack" and overall wonderful idea. During Foudroyant shipwreck, many people started to take materials from her as I assume they thought she was unsalvageable. What these individuals then decided to do was construct a cabinet in the design of the Foudroyant's stern and I thought that would make for a great display case showcasing a person's ships. The following photo will show you what I mean.

L0179-00-fine-foudroyant-oak-and-copper-wall-cabinet-by-goodall-lamb-heighway-manchester-from-...jpg

What do you guys think about designing and/or making a display case for your model in which the actual case also looks like a ship's stern. I don't know about you guys but I dig it a lot.

Raymond

I love it as well. I think it is a person's ability to think outside the box and be able to refurbish materials into useful things.

Ray

Back