Uploaded photos become a little blurry

Hi,

I am not sure where to post this but hopefully someone can help me.

I take photos of my builds with my iPhone or iPad. They look clear and sharp when I look at them on my iPad. When I post them to this site, for example the Completed Models forum, they look a little blurry. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Roger

Hi,

I am not sure where to post this but hopefully someone can help me.

I take photos of my builds with my iPhone or iPad. They look clear and sharp when I look at them on my iPad. When I post them to this site, for example the Completed Models forum, they look a little blurry. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Roger
Hallo Roger,
On your I-phone your photos have still the full size, with 4 to 8 MBytes.
When you upload the photos on our forum (the same to other forums as well) the forum software is reducing the "quality" of your photos to a reasonable size.
You have to know, that we have to pay to the providers for the overall memory - if we would not reduce the memory size of each photo, it would be much much more expensive.
An additional and maybe more important reason to to downsize the photos.
In our forum we have limited 25 photos per post and 20 posts per page - theroretical we could have 500 photos on one page, which would mean 400 MBytes - imagine, how long it would need for the members, until the complete page is downloaded and all photos visible - these are the pros and cons of usability of a forum

But maybe @Donnie can explain it much better and maybe correct my words if necessary

@Uwek, thanks for your explanation it makes a lot of sense. I just found the Ship Modelling Photography Tutorial by @Donnie this morning, which I realize answers my question.
Your help is very much appreciated.
Regards, Roger

Roger,
I am glad that you found that photography tutorial. The rare occasions that I have used my iPhone to upload images, the iPhone will usually ask at what SIZE do you want to upload, email, or whatever. It might say something like Original Size (which might be 4 or 8Meg, then the next choice might be Medium which might be 1 Meg, then the last choice might be Small which might be 500K - apple does this because not all email servers can handle a large file being sent over the internet. But, that is email only (usually). If you are given the choice of uploading the ORIGINAL size, then do that and the forum should receive the file like it is in its most largest size.
Then this is where the forum takes over and does compress the image, but the images SHOULD NOT be blurred. Usually very good sharp large file images like 5 to 10 MEG can handle a huge amount of compression before an image will degrade to the point of no return. But that is usually A LOT.
For instance, I have a Cannon Point and Shoot that is about 10 Meg camera. I can take that image that actually turns out to be about lets say 8 MEG in size. The forum will compress that down to a whopping only 272k. Now that is a lot of compression and as you see none of the images on the forum for the most part are still very clear.
We limit posting of images to 20 or 25 per post as some people would try to upload 1000 images at once and that really is not the way to run a forum as think about the Traffice the Server would encounter called "flooding the server". Also, the main thing, Zoltan and others just came to the conclusion that 20 images (at one time uplodad) is about average of someone needing to put their point across for one session or one post at a time. THen they can upload another set of 20 , etc. Lastly, there is an issue of "flooding" the server and we do not want hackers or whomever to flood the server down with 1000 images of just junk to bring the server down (make is unresponsive) with "flooding".
Lastly as Uwe pointed out, our forum automatically compresses images due to an "Add on" to our software. If we did not do that, our Server space would very quickly run out and we would have to upgrade. Well, as a matter of fact even with this "Add on" SOS in the long run since it has started has upgraded its service like 4 times from a very simple "Shared Server" to a full blown "Cloud Server" now. But that does not mean that life is grand now, we still have to manage space.

@Donnie
Hello Donnie, thanks for taking the time to explain your image upload process. Knowing I can basically just point, shoot and upload makes it all a lot easier. I have an older Canon Powershot digital camera so I might try using that instead of the iPhone.
Thanks again,
Roger

(Just as a later follow up - I now know why I thought the photos were a little blurry. If I look at them on my iPad, without logging in to SOS, they are slightly blurry. Once logged in to your site they are very clear.)
Again, thanks for your help.
Roger

Last edited:
@Donnie
Hello Donnie, thanks for taking the time to explain your image upload process. Knowing I can basically just point, shoot and upload makes it all a lot easier. I have an older Canon Powershot digital camera so I might try using that instead of the iPhone.
Thanks again,
Roger

(Just as a later follow up - I now know why I thought the photos were a little blurry. If I look at them on my iPad, without logging in to SOS, they are slightly blurry. Once logged in to your site they are very clear.)
Again, thanks for your help.
Roger
Do you have Photoshop?

Back