Discussion Use, shapes and materials for Sanding Blocks

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Here is the Kur's @DARIVS ARCHITECTVS quoted in another thread: this huge conversation can some from a cutting mat, I can't wait to see what happens when we start talking about sanding blocks. :D

...So I made a decision and started a new thread about sanding blocks. All I know, is they shouldn't be Green as the cutting mats or? ROTF What do you think?

I have a huge variety of sanding blocks and sticks from different materials. This is one of the tools where I particularly don't care what color they are. I usually made them depending on the given situation and sanding requirements. Usually, I made my sanding blocks or sticks double-sided, where one side is one grit, and the opposite side is another grit. Double-sticky tape keeps them in place. Once it is worn out, I replace both: sanding paper and tape. That simple. Oh....I forgot to mention that my sanding paper is Pink ;) Thought, I couldn't find a green one :pROTF

What about you folks?

I usually don't have to resort to using sanding sticks unless work has to be done in a tight corner. This inexpensive sanding tool with Velcro attached sanding pads is only $13.00 here on Amazon.

1700061441673.png

This is the block I use for rough grit sanding. It is more flat than the one above and is good for rough shaping of wood. It's $9.15 and can be found here.

1700061736592.png

Tools don't have to be expensive to be useful... but they HAVE to be YELLOW. ROTF :D

Much to the Admiral’s dismay, if it fits the shape I need, and I can wrap a piece of sandpaper around it, it’s fair game…. After 34 years together, she’s used to me commandeering household items for modeling purposes.
what brand of sandpaper do you recommend and why to our members?

The best block is pine 10x6x3cm with 60, 80, 120, 140, 180, 220, 400 sandpaper glued with white glue. The bend has a right angle of 90*. Perfection.
View attachment 407213View attachment 407214
I can see the use of those blocks in the small area of work, what about the larger area? Do you have other length blocks? Also, if you need to replace the sandpaper how do you do this, if it is glued?

I can see the use of those blocks in the small area of work, what about the larger area? Do you have other length blocks? Also, if you need to replace the sandpaper how do you do this, if it is glued?
You can make any shapes. I learned this from Kudin videos, there can even be round and flat strips. When it is worn out, you simply tear it off and stick a new one on white glue. If i need a certain shape, i do what i need.
It sticks better with cyanoacrylate but is hard to tear off, with white glue it sometimes falls off but it's better to replace it. In my opinion, there is no better use for sandpaper, i have store-bought blocks and they don't work as well as on wood.

I use the method discribed by Kudin. I use what I have. But the sandpaper, I use the one not with paper but with linen. Cloth. And quality sandpaper. Hardwood and alu strips are perfect. And the glue is textile glue. Bisonkit in Dutch. Glue on both sides, let it dry, push then together.

I use the method discribed by Kudin. I use what I have. But the sandpaper, I use the one not with paper but with linen. Cloth. And quality sandpaper. Hardwood and alu strips are perfect. And the glue is textile glue. Bisonkit in Dutch. Glue on both sides, let it dry, push then together.
what brand of sandpaper you are using? Also, are you talking about contact cement glue? Similar to this?

1700154745093.png

I use pink sandpaper made by 3M, and one with cloth on back by Kingspor

what brand of sandpaper you are using? Also, are you talking about contact cement glue? Similar to this?

View attachment 407387

I use pink sandpaper made by 3M, and one with cloth on back ny Kingspor
Contact glue or contact adhesive

Sandpaper Hermes
20231116_184053.jpg
My drawer with my supplies.
20231116_184103.jpg

I got also other brands but the Hermes is just perfect in use for me.
For the Dutch people, I bought this by De Baptist in Arnhem.

Back