Using nails on planking

If you use nails to hold planks while glueing, how do pull them out without damaging the planks?

Hello Ratio1, I expect you will get some very good advice from members on this site with regard to nailing planks and how to remove them. This doesn’t answer your question but I am going to suggest an alternative that may work for you depending on the model type.

I use a super glue (Gorilla in my case), which I use to “spot weld“ the planks. I place a small amount on about half the contact point on a bulkhead and another spot midway between bulkheads on each previous plank. Then, using a syringe filled with carpenters PVA, I lay glue on the remaining areas that are to be glued. Pressing a new plank against the bulkheads and previously installed plank gives me instant bonding. Almost like a tack weld. Some additional clamping provides tighter contact until the planks dry.

4DD7CA73-CD8F-4115-AC86-134F1C65354E.jpeg

With regards to the first planking, I punch the nails into the wood. Second planking goes smoothly over the top, but I use planking screws for the second planks.

Hello Michel,
they can be used for most scales. I like the fact that they screw into the first planking tightly. Push pins can come loose easily.

Hello Michel,
they can be used for most scales. I like the fact that they screw into the first planking tightly. Push pins can come loose easily.
for the most part,... push pin....,, tension does the trick....it works for me

I use CA gel to apply hull planking. Spot apply the gel, set the plank, and hold for ten seconds. Regular CA thin whacks into the wood too fast to provide a tack. The gel CA stays thick until it sets. I occasionally need to clamp hard bends but if patient, you can still hold in place until the CA sets. For me, CA gel works for planking.

I use CA gel to apply hull planking. Spot apply the gel, set the plank, and hold for ten seconds. Regular CA thin whacks into the wood too fast to provide a tack. The gel CA stays thick until it sets. I occasionally need to clamp hard bends but if patient, you can still hold in place until the CA sets. For me, CA gel works for planking.
Question: After CA glue sets, can you undo it if you make a mistake?

I have always used pva glue, but the thought of using ca gel is intriguing.

If you use nails to hold planks while glueing, how do pull them out without damaging the planks?
For the first planking just drive the nail below the surface. It doesn't have to be removed unless you want to recycle nails. For the second planking, where appearence is important, I take some scrap 1st planking material and cut it into about 3/16" lengths. Lay this over the plank on the model and put the nail in thru both pieces. The scrap can easily be split off leaving the nail above the plank surface for removal with a pliers. This also helps to spread the pressure from the nail and increase its effectiveness. The nail hole is filled by putting some glue in it then saning the area with a very fine grit.

For the second planking, where appearence is important, I take some scrap 1st planking material and cut it into about 3/16" lengths. Lay this over the plank on the model and put the nail in thru both pieces. The scrap can easily be split off leaving the nail above the plank surface for removal with a pliers.
Would I use the above quoted method if the ship is single planked?

Back