• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

USS Constitution 1:70 Scratch

, but you are too fast for me.
The only hope I have to cross the finish line while Mustafa is still in the arena is, if he scratch builds the ship's boats, their oars, builds the Taj Mahal of cases, and changes his mind about not rigging sails...
you could even say I’m moving pretty slowly on this one. I guess I’m getting older. ;)
Not as old as me young man, though that's no excuse for me. Even so, you're moving along at a splendid rate.

Beautiful workmanship. And, thanks for all the detailed photographs of rigging intricacies. I will be consulting these long after you've moved on to your next project. Begging the question, what will you be doing with Connie? Displaying her in your home? Selling her? Donating her to a maritime museum?
 
The only hope I have to cross the finish line while Mustafa is still in the arena is, if he scratch builds the ship's boats, their oars, builds the Taj Mahal of cases, and changes his mind about not rigging sails...

Not as old as me young man, though that's no excuse for me. Even so, you're moving along at a splendid rate.

Beautiful workmanship. And, thanks for all the detailed photographs of rigging intricacies. I will be consulting these long after you've moved on to your next project. Begging the question, what will you be doing with Connie? Displaying her in your home? Selling her? Donating her to a maritime museum?
I will be trying to rig the sails too. I don't know if I will be able to but I'll give it a try.
 
While sitting home, keeping an eye on some workmen, I used my idle time to peruse rope walking videos. I have to assume you've been through all of this before you invested in your high tech gear, but I'm curious why didn't choose Chuck Passaro's Syren Rope Rocket. This seems to be a two pass process with which I'm sure you are familiar. But you know how it is with YouTube, I was shown a link to a video where "Walnut and Tung Oil"s demonstrates a single pass system.


Unfortunately, his machine is a one-off, which is hand made with lego parts and commonly available wood materials. No plans exist, so some research will need to be invested in the making of this machine.

Have you tried either?


BTW. I just looked at a video for the vertical machine you mentioned. Even simpler?
 
While sitting home, keeping an eye on some workmen, I used my idle time to peruse rope walking videos. I have to assume you've been through all of this before you invested in your high tech gear, but I'm curious why didn't choose Chuck Passaro's Syren Rope Rocket. This seems to be a two pass process with which I'm sure you are familiar. But you know how it is with YouTube, I was shown a link to a video where "Walnut and Tung Oil"s demonstrates a single pass system.


Unfortunately, his machine is a one-off, which is hand made with lego parts and commonly available wood materials. No plans exist, so some research will need to be invested in the making of this machine.

Have you tried either?


BTW. I just looked at a video for the vertical machine you mentioned. Even simpler?
Threre is a fellow that makes the horizontal ropewalk machines and sells them. I don't remember his name, but I'll try to find it.
I have not tried the Passaro machine.
I wanted something that I can make a lot of rope and not a piece at a time. That's the only reason I chose the planetary machine.
I don't understand why people don't like the European one. The fellow that built the machine seems to be very responsive to questions. Maybe he would implement some improvements if someone mentioned that to him...
 
Back
Top