USS Constitution a.k.a "Old Ironsides" Cross Section

Hello Everyone,
I may be a little late to the party but if a new group project is still on the table, I'd like to make a suggestion.

If it is possible, does anyone think that the Constitution may make a likely candidate for a new group build? I ask because unlike other projects, the Constitution has a construction aspect that I would love to try and/or make. The aspect I am referring to are the diagonal bracing in the lower hold area.

I am not computer savvy so I wouldn't be able to help in that department such as drafting lines or such. Since I'm currently working on the Victory, the time that the Admiral is giving me is being used on the build.

Does anyone else think it might be a good idea or is it that it isn't feasible this time around? Anyway, food for thought gentlemen.

Raymond

I have a Chinese made Iron Sides cross section kit waiting to build down the road. I think 1:75 scale.

I have looked at instructions for details to see if it shows the diagonal bracing, but this is cheap designed kit, with just plain beams and no deck structure in it.

I would love to see something done in larger scale, 1:48 or better for this grand ship. With designs like the Blandford build plans with all the real deck structure and hull structures as well.

do you mean these shown in this drawing?

Usually such bracings are not shown in any midship section model

Yes Uwe, it would be similar. While I must confess that I originally thought it was diagonal bracing they are in fact diagonal riders. They start between frames B and (×). I've attached three photos as a means of showing you what I mean. The 1st photo shows the general location of the diagonal riders. The 2nd photo (D2/1) it will be item 72. The last photo (section D) it will be item 85.20200520_111644.jpg20200520_111717.jpg20200520_111730.jpg

Interesting the article states they replaced diagonal braces that were removed earlier, and it had hogged 18" while original bracing was removed.

Maybe the original designers knew what was needed to keep the keel straight and true.

Hello,
I did make an observation as to how the constitution may have earned the nickname, "Old Ironsides" and I wonder if anyone can clarify it for me.

It seems that just above the waterline (berthing and gun decks), the amount, and the placement of all the hanging knees played a huge part on her ability to have cannonballs bounce off her hull.

I know that making hanging and bracing knees is a daunting task for some modelers, but I believe that once they get started they will be able to breeze through it.

What do you guys think about the opportunity of the Constitution being a potentiallly future group build?

Raymond

I'm currently building the Mamoli Constitution cross section, and while looking at other people's build logs over on Model Ship World, I came across at least on where the builder added those braces,along with a lot of other details. They looked very cool indeed. BTW-note that the Mamoli kit has only 3 decks whereas the real Connie has 4.

What do you guys think about the opportunity of the Constitution being a potentiallly future group build?

At the moment we have several group builds in preparation in the background ,there is no capacaity and man power to do another one

At the moment we have several group builds in preparation in the background ,there is no capacaity and man power to do another one
I quite understand Zoly. But would it still be possible months to a year or so down the road?

Raymond

I quite understand Zoly. But would it still be possible months to a year or so down the road?

Raymond
Not really as the current projects are not done yet,and not just the drawings ,a prototype must be built also to verify them ,these takes 1-2 years at least ,we have the Ontario going on for 2 years minimum and not even close to be released,alse Mike41 who doing the drawings has to be interested in the Constitution also ,this is not up to the admins.We used to have a discussion here about the projects just got lost somehow,we usually choose shops that was not modelled yet or very rare the Constitution probably won’t qualifie as she was built a zillion times.Anyhow with the current projects we are going to be busy for 5 years for sure.

As we have the Blandford mdsection than Ontario half a ship midsection,we are now focusing on some stern sections with carvings and maybe a bow section.

Thanks Zoly. After I'm done with the Victory, I'll jump on the Blandford.

Raymond
You may wNt to look at the Ontario ,maybe by the time you finish the Victory the Ontario will be released

Hello Raymond,

We can certainly plan for such group build. How many modellers would be interested? What will need from SOS for such build? There is a lot of questions\ involvement and this needs planning. I have to agree with Zoly, we already have 2 upcoming group builds: Alert kit from Tridents (74 members are interested in this kit) and section of Ontario Mike @Mike41 building a pilot model, and this is besides ongoing group build of Blandford's cross section.
I don't believe we can complete planning in few months, that would be unreal. But you can lead the thread and start asking who might be intersted in such cross section to get an idea. ;)

Hello Raymond,

We can certainly plan for such group build. How many modellers would be interested? What will need from SOS for such build? There is a lot of questions\ involvement and this needs planning. I have to agree with Zoly, we already have 2 upcoming group builds: Alert kit from Tridents (74 members are interested in this kit) and section of Ontario Mike @Mike41 building a pilot model, and this is besides ongoing group build of Blandford's cross section.
I don't believe we can complete planning in few months, that would be unreal. But you can lead the thread and start asking who might be intersted in such cross section to get an idea. ;)
Mike says on his Ontario log that will be for a while for another midsection,maybe a stern section

Gentlemen,
I really appreciate you guys clarifying the issue. Its not every day that a swabbie gets to mingle with the top brass. LOL.

I really do understand the work that goes into making decisions for the guild and to keep it going and interesting for everyone. I knew from the start that I was a little late to this party but thought, "If I don't ask, I'll never know".

To be honest, you guys behind the curtain rock and I'm just glad to be a part of the same team.

Raymond

might be of interest- just downloaded 1926 film "Old Ironsides" . Not particularly historical, but interesting how old Hollywood reproduced the looks and workings 100 years ago

Back