USS Constitution Build log by VIC [COMPLETED BUILD]

The instructions showed to cut out pieces of cloth and paint them black. The Admiral had both gray and black. I opted for gray. I have since wondered if the tarps should extend over the lip of the boat and be tied down. The boats don’t have any details inside them so I guess they have to be covered.

That's an unusual way to make the ships boats I've never seen them with tarps on before. I like those small blocks your eyesight must be better than mine.
The blocks have to have tiny needles run through them or I can’t get thread through them. I have to be careful, though because they’re made of card stock and can easily tear.

The kit had a slab of wood on the top of the boats. No way to show details. They suggested to lay some black cloth on the inside. The Admiral piped in it would look more natural to have a tarp over the boat and tie it down. She even googled some pictures to back up her point. I tried using my tiny 2mm blocks, but they didn’t work out well. image.jpg

Plastic anchors. Ugh! Maybe I’ll make some wood stocks to replace the plastic ones. I don’t do a good job of mixing brown paint to resemble wood. Maybe some acrylic black on the actual anchor. Will it stick to plastic?image.jpg

I found some scrap wood. It’s the right thickness when two are glued together. It’s a little shy of being wide enough. I glued and clamped them together to form the anchor stock. The angle won’t be quite right, but we’ll see how it looks. image.jpg

Thanks, Paul. It’s such a small scale, though, that it’s really hard to make it look like I want. I wanted to wrap the ring, but it’s so small and the thread has to be so thin, I don’t think it will be worth it.

Back