USS KEARSARGE (1864)

This is the display model of the 1/96 KEARSARGE (1864) kit. It depicts her during her engagement with CSS ALABAMA. There is a cutaway showing the framing, ceiling, and strapping outboard of the coal bunkers. Based on NARA drawings and contemporary photos.

overall01 (2016_01_17 01_05_01 UTC) (2018_07_23 16_35_27 UTC) (2020_01_23 01_21_01 UTC).JPGoverall01b (2016_01_17 01_05_01 UTC) (2018_07_23 16_35_27 UTC) (2020_01_23 01_21_01 UTC).JPGoverall03 (2016_01_17 01_05_01 UTC) (2018_07_23 16_35_27 UTC) (2020_01_23 01_21_01 UTC).JPGoverall06 (2016_01_17 01_05_01 UTC) (2018_07_23 16_35_27 UTC) (2020_01_23 01_21_01 UTC).JPGreveal04 (2016_01_17 01_05_01 UTC) (2018_07_23 16_35_27 UTC) (2020_01_23 01_21_01 UTC).JPG

Very good idea with the cutaway section - very good model !!!

Hi alross2,
Your Kearsarge build is amazing. Which model is it? Blue Jacket?
I just acquired the Sterling solid wood hull version of the model and hope to start later this year. It has the shorter war-time foredeck. I am interested in the NARA drawings but I don't have travel plans for Washington at the moment. Can you tell me about them? Size, number, ease of access? Were you able to photograph or scan them?

I know Blue Jacket sells a set of plans alone for $70 and I may go that route. The Sterling hull plan is limited and with an advertised scale of 1/8" = 9.1" I am not confident in their accuracy.

Regards,
BrianK

Hi alross2,
Your Kearsarge build is amazing. Which model is it? Blue Jacket?
I just acquired the Sterling solid wood hull version of the model and hope to start later this year. It has the shorter war-time foredeck. I am interested in the NARA drawings but I don't have travel plans for Washington at the moment. Can you tell me about them? Size, number, ease of access? Were you able to photograph or scan them?

I know Blue Jacket sells a set of plans alone for $70 and I may go that route. The Sterling hull plan is limited and with an advertised scale of 1/8" = 9.1" I am not confident in their accuracy.

Regards,
BrianK
The model is the BJ kit, which I developed for them. The NARA plans are largely for the 1878 rebuild with the raised quarter deck and extended forecastle. I got them from the Maryland Silver Company which may no longer exist, as its owner crossed the bar awhile back. The kit is 1/8" = 1' (1/96). The plan set has seven sheets which include separate Standing and Running Rigging sheets. There are no lines and sections drawings, as the kit has lasered bulkheads.

Thank you so much for this information alross2!
I have a lead on the MSC plans. I will let you know if it pans out.
I am also glad to know the BJ plans will not help me carve down the Sterling Kearsarge hull. Still, if the Sterling rigging plans don't cut it, I may want the BJ plans yet.

Many regards,
BrianK

Have you checked Chappelle's THE AMERICAN SAILING NAVY? Might be a set of lines in there.

My first thought too! But that son of a gun ends the "sailing" navy in 1855.....

I ordered Mark Lardis's 2011 book on the battle with the Alabama. Should arrive soon. The contents of that book indicates he covers technical issues and specifications but it is a bit of a hail Mary wish for plans. Maybe someone here know if that book has the hull plans in a useable form....

alross2,
your lead payed off!
The Maryland Silver Company plans were acquired by Don and Renee at Loyalhanna Dockyard. The plans are under the Taubmann Plans Service page of their website at www.loyalhannadockyard.com

I spoke to Don this afternoon and ordered a modest single page plan of the Sloop of War Kearsarge (He also has plans of the Spanish American War era version of the Kearsarge). I am not sure how much it will help but at $17.50 it was hard to pass up.......

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
Just to close an open comment.... The book by Mark Lardas "CSS Alabama vs USS Kearsarge" does not have plans in it. Its a short paperback with a few nice details.
However, I discovered that Donald Canney's book "The Old Steam Navy" volume one does have a small drawing in profile of the USS Mohican whose drawings, the author says, were used to build the USS Kearsarge.

Ok one more post to heap on my growing pile on this topic.....
The single sheet plan from Maryland Silver Company that I purchased from Loyalhanna Dockyard arrived. It has the hull plan with 18 stations in 1/96 scale. It is a large (D size?) drawing. I ordered it rolled but it is available folded. The layout and rigging are post modifications and less useful for those modeling her configuration during her battle with the Alabama. But for those seeking hull lines, this plan will work......

So once again, a big thanks to alross2.

Revisiting here, I bought the Sterling kit and I am unable to validate the odd scale. Is there a recognized length of the actual Kearsarge in feet that can be trusted? I also find oddities in the Sterling plan which add to my suspicion about the supplied plan. Tks/Paul

The 1/96 scale BJ KEARSARGE is 27 3/8" LOD and 25 5/16" LWL (from stern post to front of hull but not including stem).

Al Ross

Mark Lardas in "CSS Alabama vs USS Keasrsarge" says 201'4" between the perpendiculars and 220' overall.

Brian

The 1/96 scale BJ KEARSARGE is 27 3/8" LOD and 25 5/16" LWL (from stern post to front of hull but not including stem).

Al Ross
Super helpful, will let me derive some real scale numbers for the odd Sterling scale using 1/96 as the root. I had wanted a solid block hull Kearsarge model, looks like I have to build everything else, too.

Paul Houk

Mark Lardas in "CSS Alabama vs USS Keasrsarge" says 201'4" between the perpendiculars and 220' overall.

Brian
Ok, feet and inches, numbers to validate by, thank you. Something also to learn from this and previous post. Even though an unusual scale, I can move from plan checker to builder. While Blue Jacket gives you kit to precise scale, I will enjoy crafting the old Sterling kit to lessor precision just for the challenge.

Paul Houk

Back