USS Niagra

Hi, My name is Jim and I just started the Niagra, How are you doing on your model. I bought it from Model Expo.

Hi, My name is Jim and I just started the Niagra, How are you doing on your model. I bought it from Model Expo.

My kit also came from Model Expo. I have the hull completed and painted, including the deck planking. I used the same scheme as the side planking after putting all the coamings temporarily in place (I use nails without heads inserted in the bottom of each coaming to hold them in place.). I'm not working on the various deck pieces. This kit is taking much longer than my previous kits, largely because it requires more detailed construction. Such fun, and I love the challenge of figuring out how to construct things I haven't done before. BTB, still looking for an easy way to turn a tapered dowel into eight-sided per drawings.

BTB, still looking for an easy way to turn a tapered dowel into eight-sided per drawings.
Don't start with a dowel. Start with a square stick. Cut the taper, then take off the corners and you're done. Also, the grain in dowels often has runout, which causes problems. If you start with rectangular stock you can pick a piece with grain parallel to the sides or cut it from wider stock to suit. Another also: dowels are usually birch. A softwood like basswood or pine works better. Have fun!

Wow you're doing a beautiful job on your model. I am on my fifth model, being the Niagara. This model looks like it is going to be a fun project. I have experienced the difficulties of trying to make the eight-sided carving of dowels. It can be very frustrating. I use a modelers file and very limited use of a carving blade. Blades can suddenly take out a chunk of wood and ruin your piece quickly. The mast on the Niagara is going to be tricky but if you go slow, I am sure you will be successful. The square stick idea sounds pretty good, that might be a better wat to go.

I have experienced the difficulties of trying to make the eight-sided carving of dowels. It can be very frustrating. I use a modelers file and very limited use of a carving blade. Blades can suddenly take out a chunk of wood and ruin your piece quickly.
A hobby knife is useful but, for spars, you really need a little plane to avoid taking out a chunk. Most of my work on spars and oars is with a plane and a sanding block. Wood grain is important; start with square or rectangular wood that has straight grain and no runout. Note that some spars (and oars) have square cross sections (such as inboard sections of bowsprits) as well as octagonal sections. First photo shows tools and some results. Second photo shows a tugboat mast with square butt. Have fun!

spar tools.jpgskipjack tug 223.jpg

My kit also came from Model Expo. I have the hull completed and painted, including the deck planking. I used the same scheme as the side planking after putting all the coamings temporarily in place (I use nails without heads inserted in the bottom of each coaming to hold them in place.). I'm not working on the various deck pieces. This kit is taking much longer than my previous kits, largely because it requires more detailed construction. Such fun, and I love the challenge of figuring out how to construct things I haven't done before. BTB, still looking for an easy way to turn a tapered dowel into eight-sided per drawings.
Hallo @wmpeter
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

make sure you are going with the grain and also try the opposite direction.
Some woods just don't like to have a plane used on them and they chunk or break out. You can also try to work it with the plane at an angle compared to your direction of movement. Another possibility is that your blade is too far out.

Wow you're doing a beautiful job on your model. I am on my fifth model, being the Niagara. This model looks like it is going to be a fun project. I have experienced the difficulties of trying to make the eight-sided carving of dowels. It can be very frustrating. I use a modelers file and very limited use of a carving blade. Blades can suddenly take out a chunk of wood and ruin your piece quickly. The mast on the Niagara is going to be tricky but if you go slow, I am sure you will be successful. The square stick idea sounds pretty good, that might be a better wat to go.
How you doing on Niagara? I’ve got most of the masts carved. I didn’t use square stock and created a lot of work trimming and sanding. I had some old walnut dowels very dense stuff. After this I’m going to take your advice and look for grain
Finished fore and main tops and crosstrees.
Now I’ve got to paint and finish them. I think I’ll sleep on that

IMG_1104.jpeg

image.jpg

Back