USS Texas (1892) Predreadnought

A couple of "surprises" to be hidden away in the model. A pin with Admiral Dewey on it, and a one-cent piece from 1892. Will they ever be discovered? See picture just before this text.

Last edited:
I love the old style dreadnoughts. I built the H.M.S Iron Duke a few years ago.

Finished boats...

I am building the 1892 Texas. A couple of the boats are painted blue and are for my Potemkin model. Most of these boats are for the Texas, however.

20210823_215916.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-dreadnaught battleship design went through lots of interesting developments, some were quite innovative and others just proved to be dead ends. Evolution in steel and steam. Enjoying your build.

I just began what I call my "relaxer model" after a very intense build completion of my Potemkin. This ship (USS Texas) has a pretty simple layout, although I am finding it has many more bumps (sponsons) than I expected. These are tedious to construct. However, once I get the hull down, it is a simpler deck layout (I think) than most predreadnoughts.

This relaxer model will prep me for my next more ambitious ship, a "floating hotel" French predreadnought. The uglier and more steampunk the better, but an extremely complicated model to get right. A challenge!

Stay tuned for more on the Texas...
Hallo @Bluemaxone
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Will return to this model...am working two more at the moment. Sorry for the pause, but USS Texas is still alive and well. Am excited to eventually finish it.

Here are a couple of photos of the more recent 1912 built battleship Texas (served in both WW I and WW II) under tow from it's wet berth at the
San Jacinto battleground to a shipyard in Galveston where it is to undergo a $38 million rebuilding.
Thought you might like to see these. Mike

IMG_4616  Hewre comes the Texas.jpg

IMG_4620 the Texas towing into  Galv Harbor.jpg

This thread is my build log for the 1892 Texas. I would kindly ask posters to start their own thread for the later Texas. Thank you.

I just began what I call my "relaxer model" after a very intense build completion of my Potemkin. This ship (USS Texas) has a pretty simple layout, although I am finding it has many more bumps (sponsons) than I expected. These are tedious to construct. However, once I get the hull down, it is a simpler deck layout (I think) than most predreadnoughts.

This relaxer model will prep me for my next more ambitious ship, a "floating hotel" French predreadnought. The uglier and more steampunk the better, but an extremely complicated model to get right. A challenge!

Stay tuned for more on the Texas...
Hallo @Bluemaxone
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back