Vasa

Maarten

Staff member
Forum Moderator

During my visit to Stockholm some weeks ago I had to bore my wife with a 7 hours visit to the Vasa museum on Thursday. Luckily the ticket is valid for 30 days, so before we had to catch our evening flight to Amsterdam i had another 4 hours in the museum. I made a lot of pictures from constructions that attracted my attention.

Planks vs wales. Normally in my models the wales I connect with a 3:1 height length diagonal connection and the hull planks with a blund connection but in vasa all planks and wales have a diagonal wood connection with is fluctuating in ratio.

A normal wood connection in a wale.
20180513_134203.jpg

The same type of diagonal connection in a normal hull plank below a gun port.
20180513_153820.jpg

Normally I always try to get my bolts and wooden dowels neatly drilled all in the same direction and slightly diagonal but on vasa they are every where.

20180513_165558.jpg
Normally I spread my plank connections so there are always some planks in between the connection. In vasa they are very close to each other in some places. See below
And again one ate ratio 3:1 and the other 5:1.
20180510_154622.jpg
There are no blund plank connections on vasa, they are all diagonal, generally in a 3:1 ratio but also much longer, see picture below.20180513_161228.jpg

In the bow section the planks are mounted in the Dutch methode as it was a ship build by a Dutch master.
20180513_160720.jpg

Never end a plank with a pointed end because then it will rot much quicker. See below. In the bow of vasa several sharp pointed ends in a plank.
20180510_132426.jpg

Next time some more pictures. I have over 600 :).

My wife is saying usually, that I can travel to see ships and models when ever and where ever I want. The only request from her is, that she has not to travel with me to see boring ships......

back to @Maarten s photos of the Vasa: First of all many thanks for the details.
The Vasa is one very good example, that the shipwrights used at this time what material they had based on their technical knowledge at this time.
And it is very good for the modeling beginners as argument for not "perfect" planking job at bow and stern.
"Why stealers?" "Look at the Vasa!" "Mondfeld and the others should re-formulate their manuals!"

Thanks for these details.....hope to see some more of the 600 !

Great site, didn't knew this one. So I don't have to post more pictures.:)
No, please post more, because your additional explanations it will be additional information for us....

No, please post more, because your additional explanations it will be additional information for us....
I havta echoes Uwe! Please more photos.

Regarding the rather funny way the Vasa was built........ I have to wonder if that was also one of the reason why she overturned on her maiden voyage? Maybe being too top heavy wasn't the only reason.
Let'scontemplatethat
Greg

Back