victory paint "scheme"

Starting the Victory Bow and planning ahead, I'm bothered by the colours . I see the pictures and visited the Victory 5 years ago, . But, the coloring of the gun carriages and matching inner walls yellow and others white seem ? anachronistic. With other boats, in books and google images, natural wood, red or black seem to be the rule. .( The recent change in the colour of the external ship, is noteworthy.) Any comments or advice would be most welcome..

The colours of victory where Black, Red , White & Yellow Occre. Recently they re painted as it was discovered that the extenal colouring was more a pink yellow than occre.
Most modelers have refused to make the change to the pinky colour and have stayed with the original colours. Yes the canons were painted as show except for the wheels which were natural. Some modelers put the copper on some don't.

It is either stick to the official colors or do not. As its your model make a choice YOU are happy with, painted or natural. The only thing I would not recommend is changing the colours to those it's NOT supposed to be. The only reason for this is some people might make comments that you do not appreciate.

There are very little accurate images of these period ships and unless they are still remaining to this day ( as the Victory and a couple of others are,) we can only accept the co lours done by the artist of that time.)

Thank you. I know what the experts say about the new/old external colour but I often find experts wrong-even the "scientific evidence"type. I don't know if they can take account of interactions of time/wood/salt water/atmosphere/overlying colours etc., but as an Englishman, I cannot believe the old salts, with their hearts of oak ,in the Senior service, would sail in, let alone go into battle, in anything "Pinkish".

Back