Views on mantua kits

hello Snowy, my first ship model building was the HMSVictory 1.98 from Mantua but I can not tell much about it since it was a second-hand kit from the year 1974 and has to cut everything with the handsaw as this kit does not have lasercut wood, but has to say that I learned a lot from it, if I look at the kit's of mantua these days I do not see much difference with the Occre kit's.
From Occre I am very satisfied with both the delivered material and the service.
Your Diana is a very nice construction I liket very much
Greetings
Willy

IMG_20180105_143059 (Kopie).jpg

I have built many mantua and mamoli kits and I like them I've built Latina, constructo kits as well. Of all I like the mantua and mamoli kits the most the wood given is always good and I've never gotten a kit missing parts unlike Latina and constructo. The instructions are a bit difficult to understand and often you will need to build from the plans for dimensions as they arent always included in the written instructions. The good thing is the plans are fairly accurate, also unlike Latina and constructo. There arent many kit makers who give a completely accurate kit that you will have to research and modify yourself where ever needed. My first Mantua kit I pulled my hair out in trying to figure it out but once I did it was easy to understand.

Hey thanks guys
The ship i was looking at was the san felipe at about a 96 mm long it's 1/75 scale

Mantua kits make nice looking models and tend to look like the ship. However, the rigging of the vessels are usually grossly incorrect. They use the same generic rigging on every ship and pay no attention to the time frame of the ships construction or country of origin. The rigging plan for the Sovereign of the seas, for example, would not even come close to how the ship would be rigged until after 1740. OVER 40 YEARS AFTER the ship was destroyed and 100 YEARS AFTER her construction. Even then, many lines were not rigged correctly regardless of the time.

Very interesting gary and not what im looking for in a model not being a sailor and having about 2 dozen modelling books i like good plans and materials
Thanks snowy

Back