Was Santa Ana painted or not?

Not sure if this will help but it's an extract from Alejandro Yanez booklet re San Juan Nepomuceno and references Spanish Royal ships of the Trafalgar period. ( :) I used Google translate)

HISTORIA DEL NAVÍO "SAN JUAN NEPOMUCENO"
ordinances of the Corps of Marine Engineers:

"Ordinance of Her Majesty for the best service of the Corps of Marine Engineers in the Departments and on Board of War Ships, Year 1772" San Ildefonso, August 13, 1772.

Article 145. Each Ship will be painted equally every two years,

Frigate and other War Vessels, pontoons and Machines. The Commanding Engineer will observe that no other color is used in the exterior size, and stripes, other than yellow and black; the Entre-Bridges, and Castle with red earth, the Chambers colored porcelain and blue, unless there is a particular order from me to vary it on some Ship.

The Boats will also be painted yellow and black on the outside; inside red, aft porcelain, and her Shield as usual: the masts, Booms, and Vessels of the same colors yellow, and black, the color of the Boats.

In 1776, "His Majesty's Ordinance for the best method of preserving the stores of ships of the Royal Navy and military command of naval arsenals" was published. (Madrid Naval Museum Library, Ref. BMN-2335) In Title XXIII, Article 627 it says:

Each ship will be painted equally every two years,

frigate and other war vessels that need it. The General Engineer will observe that no other color is used in the exterior size and stripes than yellow and black: in the chambers, porcelain and blue; and in the between decks and castle the red earth, unless there is a particular order from me to vary it on a ship.

The feluccas of the General Commander of the department, Mayor and General Engineering, will be painted green; the boats on the outside, their masts, botabaras and vicheros of yellow and black and the interior of roxa unlike the stern which must be made of porcelain with the shield of my Royal Arms.
So, this is what is painted on the porcelain colored transom of the boats?
1717366442739.png

View attachment 451052
I believe that emblem would have been painted on a porcelain Disc/shield. There is no photo or drawing of the actual/alleged Royal emblem of the Trafalgar time period referenced in the Alejandro Yanez analysis. I take that the above emblem is Santa Ana kit supplied, checking Wikipedia it doesn't resemble any of the Royal coat of arms for Spain. Perhaps one of our Spanish SOS members could verify that especially if they can visit or access the Madrid Naval Museum. Sorry if i haven't been able to assist further in this matter.
Wkipedia;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_the_King_of_Spain
Cheers.

View attachment 451052

This image corresponds to the shield of the town hall "Real Sitio de San Ildefonso" so I doubt it was used on the stern of the ship "Santa Ana"
Greetings
Esta imagen corresponde al escudo del ayuntamiento "Real Sitio de San Ildefonso" por lo que dudo que haya sido usado en la popa del navío "Santa Ana"
Saludos

The "Real Ordenanza" (Royal Ordinance) of July 17, 1781, ordered all ships of the "Real Armada" to uniformly paint the sides and masts reddish yellow or "almazarrón" (rust red), with the hull black, with the battery strips alternately black and yellow.

I have found some references that allude to the fact that, in Trafalgar, it was completely painted black, although the reason could be that it was prepared at full speed and there was no time to repaint them, making its yellow bands appear practically invisible in the distance.
He entered the dock to inspect and repair funds in June 1805

Greetings.

(translated by google_translate)

The "Real Ordenanza" (Royal Ordinance) of July 17, 1781, ordered all ships of the "Real Armada" to uniformly paint the sides and masts reddish yellow or "almazarrón" (rust red), with the hull black, with the battery strips alternately black and yellow.

I have found some references that allude to the fact that, in Trafalgar, it was completely painted black, although the reason could be that it was prepared at full speed and there was no time to repaint them, making its yellow bands appear practically invisible in the distance.
He entered the dock to inspect and repair funds in June 1805

Greetings.

(translated by google_translate)
Yes, I've read similar references regarding Navio Santa Ana being painted Black at Trafalgar. Sadly I neglected to bookmark them. The best i can do right now is post the following;
"At page 26 of Volume V of The Royal Navy, a history from the earliest times to the present by Sir William Laird Clowes he quotes the Neptune’s Captain William Stanhope Lovell as saying of the Spanish ships “some of them were painted like ourselves – with double yellow sides; some with a single red or yellow streak; others all black; and the noble Santisima Trinidad, with four distinct lines of red, with a white ribbon between them …. The Santa Ana was painted all black’"

Yes, I've read similar references regarding Navio Santa Ana being painted Black at Trafalgar. Sadly I neglected to bookmark them. The best i can do right now is post the following;
"At page 26 of Volume V of The Royal Navy, a history from the earliest times to the present by Sir William Laird Clowes he quotes the Neptune’s Captain William Stanhope Lovell as saying of the Spanish ships “some of them were painted like ourselves – with double yellow sides; some with a single red or yellow streak; others all black; and the noble Santisima Trinidad, with four distinct lines of red, with a white ribbon between them …. The Santa Ana was painted all black’"
Gosh, fancy me updating Kurt the person I consider to have excellent knowledge on all things naval. Has to be a me world first "Yes !Thumbsup" :cool:

Back