Waterways

Here is a drawing from when they converted the Discovery 1789 to a Bomb. I'm looking at the upper deck(in red) and noticed that there are no waterways. Did they ever make ships with no waterways or do you think the draughtsman just left it out because it wasn't involved in the modifications? Actually they may have removed the upper deck in this mod.

DISCOVERY_1789_RMG_J2021.jpg

It's very cool that you can read the notes that were written 320 years ago

i am not sure but it seems like "waterways" come in a variety of shapes and sizes
here are 2 examples where i do not see a waterway it looks like the deck planking run even to the edge of a cover board or a margin plank.

aw1x.jpg8 jul 021.jpg

Thanks Dave In your first picture if I squint hard enough I can almost (maybe) see some slope on the "margin" plank. If it's there that would kinda make it the waterway wouldn't it? In the second pic the bulwarks(?) don't have a bottom so the water can just drain off. No need of a waterway to direct the water to the scuppers. I don't know, just thinking in print.

Hallo Don,
when I take a closer look at the contemporary cross section, it is obvious, that the focus of the draughtsman of this drawing was definitely the changes in the structure for the mortar bed - so a lot of usual shown details are missing - also the waterway and margin plank

I could imagine, that the waterway of the Discovery was like the waterway on the Granado
IMG-8025.jpg

the ship shown is the reproduction of the Matthew so it is a modern day interpretation of the vessel. I also saw those deck planks and i do not think that would have been done back in the day.

Here is a drawing from when they converted the Discovery 1789 to a Bomb. I'm looking at the upper deck(in red) and noticed that there are no waterways. Did they ever make ships with no waterways or do you think the draughtsman just left it out because it wasn't involved in the modifications? Actually they may have removed the upper deck in this mod.

View attachment 296334

It's very cool that you can read the notes that were written 320 years ago
Just FYI: (1) The waterways are called scuppers; hope this helps your research, and (2) These openings will not necessarily show on every section.

The waterways are the plank that runs the length of the ship between the deck surface and the bulwarks. Scuppers are the tube or slot that drain the waterways. I'll try to find a picture.
Got one:) This is from Donald Dressel's "Planking Techniques"

DSC04510.JPG

Last edited:
Back