• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Weldbond glue

then the reality of the destiny of our models regardless how well built or archival....

when its time for you to enter purgatory on earth and your house or home has to be vacated. the family now has the burden to get everything out before the end of the month or sale of the house. the family will have to find space in their own places, that are more than likely over run with their own crap, for all your stuff thats been piling up for the past 60 years.

a large ship in a case doesnt fit as easily as it did in your decore. then how many ships have to be distributed besides furniture n work stuff? we went through a house cleaning recently and most of the stuff ended up in the dumpster.

my kids all have a ship each but what about the 8 others i have sitting around collecting dust and that monster case in the foyer? donate it to the nursing home? fire place kindling!

archival doesnt mean doodley squat then.
"- All we are is dust in the wind"
"Everything is dust in the wind."

Kansas

Just treasure and enjoy life.

Rob
 
For my current project, I have decided to switch from my usual Titebond to an archival quality glue. My (limited) understanding of glue technology is that Titebond glue is acidic.

Weldbond offers a line of PVA glues that are supposedly non-acidic. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

My confusion is that references here on SOS refer to Weldbond Universal Adhesive. When I look this up on the internet I’m offered Weldbond Multi Surface Adhesive. Are these the same, just rebranded?

Thank you Roger for your interesting question.

I seen many conversations on SOS on this subject, consequently as an amateur model builder myself I have spent money on many different wood glues. In my opinion there are 3 main stream types of glue wood base modellers can use. The question to be asked every time you want to glue something together is, how much time do I have to hold the two pieces together, with what clamps should I use.
24 hours, then I use ordinary yellow wood glue bought at Home depot, or Rona, this means 12 to 24 hours drying time. This glue holds fast, strong and is most inflexible to pull apart, although it is water soluble. Given a lot of time the components soaked in water will eventually pull apart.
2 to 5 minute, I now use the cheapest White Paper glues, Elmers School glue bought at the Dollar Store. It dries clear, can be stained, varnished, holds fast, but will not tolerate too much pressure, pulling apart. It is water soluble, cleans up well, and if necessary can be gently reworked to pulled apart after dampening with water, and lightly sand glued areas for reworking.
3 - 5 seconds, definitely Instant glue, almost any CA glue works well. The discussion on its acidity is well covered. But again it can be pulled apart, (broken at the joining surfaces with a little damage more often than not.
So answer your own question, how much time do I have when gluing parts together.
Hope this helps. Cheers Richard.
 
Back
Top