Well, hello thete

Hi folks,

Returning to ship modelling after many years off. Built plenty of ships in plastic in the past, and always wanted to have a go in wood. So, I've taken the plunge (excuse the punn) and bought the Occre HMS Beagle kit. From what I've read, a good beginner's kit, though I'm sure some of the principles from my plastic days will carry forward.

Wish me luck!

Welcome to SOS... There is lots of good stuff going on around here. Take a few minutes and look around. Read a little. Think a little. Ask questions.!!
Hope your time here is well spent.!!

Welcome to SOS. I look forward to seeing your build log.

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
If you want to get help and assistance with building your first model it would be very good to start a building log,
so we are able to give hints and answer questions when ever necessary and requested.

Dear nmj5565, welcome abord :)
There are things that stay with us for life , no matter how many breaks and how long, go back to the primacy loves.
Good luck on building the new modelThumbsupShip-1

Welcome aboard. I'm sure your experience with plastic ship models will help, but there is a lot to a wooden ship that you won't find in a plastic one. Take the hull for instance, it's nice to have a two piece hull but a wood one is hundreds of pieces. Just take your time and enjoy the experience and soon you will have something you can be proud to have done with your own two hands.

Last edited:
Hi

If you are considering the Occre HMS TERROR kit please be aware that their customer service is excellent, slow to North America but otherwise excellent.

Problems definitely abound with their material. Originally the keel, deck etc were all severely warped and had to be replaced 3 times with a 3 week wait for delivery. I finally gave up on that and did the wet one side method which worked to some extent but not entirely. Clamping the keel to a board while putting the bulwarks on helped a bit more.

Also the plywood they used kept splitting causing all kinds of problems when sanding on edge. As I said previously their customer service is great so they will replace parts, but it’s a long wait to receive them. I suggest you test all ply pieces for splitting BEFORE glueing.

Now the second planking: I recommend not applying the contact cement to the second planks, as Occre shows on their video. The planks are soooo thin that they rip apart when lifting them from the board they are on, I really mean serious ripping.

What I decide to do is to apply glue to each plank separately then hanging them vertically and separated while the water based contact cement sets up to be placed.

I am looking forward to finishing this model but with the poor quality of the material being so difficult to work with, even with the good customer service, I would be hard pressed to purchase an Occre kit again.

I meant if you are considering an Occre Kit.
I also want to emphasize that the Occre Customer Service does go overboard to replace difficult pieces.

Hi folks,

Returning to ship modelling after many years off. Built plenty of ships in plastic in the past, and always wanted to have a go in wood. So, I've taken the plunge (excuse the punn) and bought the Occre HMS Beagle kit. From what I've read, a good beginner's kit, though I'm sure some of the principles from my plastic days will carry forward.

Wish me luck!
Good luck with the build. Start a build log to show us how it goes.

Hi folks,

Wish me luck!
Hallo @nmj5565
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the HMS Beagle going?

Back