Whaleboat plans and reference book

I recently responded to a help request for whaleboat plans with the book by Willits Ansel, "The Whaleboat", that contains plans for several styles of boat. This book is an invaluable reference to anyone building a whaleboat, even from a kit, but it may not be well known so I am giving more information here. The book is available on the used book site abebooks.com for about $20 and is well worth it. I'll also mention that just about every maritime book I own I got from this site at very reasonable prices. The complete
book title, table of contents, and a sample of one of the boat plans are shown below. I show only partial plans because the pages were too big to fit on my scanner, but they should give you a good idea of the quality of the plans for a modeler. Rigging diagrams are also included.

By Willits D. Ansel

The Whaleboat: A Study of Design, Construction and Use from 1850-1970

whaleboatsI.jpg

tableofcontents.jpg

interior.jpg

plan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A copy of this book has just been delivered and on first glance it looks excellent.
I bought the paperback version (new) from Amazon in UK but it came from the USA Amazon branch.
Ordered on 19th April and delivered today 26th. It was tracked as to be delivered on 1st May. What a service.
Now the bad news. I bought it at £19.34 delivered. It is now listed on the UK Amazon site at over twice this price , (£47.19 new and used, £56.13) the hard back is
£64.48!!
One wonders what is going on. Flexible pricing based on demand I think.
I was particularly interested in these craft having seen them in the Azores where whales used to congregate in large numbers (and still do) in the very deep waters.. I must learn how to post images so that other members of SoS can admire the lines of these craft.
Best wishes to all,
Mike.

A copy of this book has just been delivered and on first glance it looks excellent.
I bought the paperback version (new) from Amazon in UK but it came from the USA Amazon branch.
Ordered on 19th April and delivered today 26th. It was tracked as to be delivered on 1st May. What a service.
Now the bad news. I bought it at £19.34 delivered. It is now listed on the UK Amazon site at over twice this price , (£47.19 new and used, £56.13) the hard back is
£64.48!!
I was particularly interested in these craft having seen them in the Azores where whales used to congregate in large numbers (and still do) in the very deep waters.. I must learn how to post images so that other members of SoS can admire the lines of these craft.
Best wishes to all,
Mike.
Looks like you made a terrific investment, better even than Bitcoin. The author really did his research and it is an amazing piece of work.

£64.48!!
Best wishes to all,
Mike.
Hallo @coalman
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back