What are these Brass Dumbells for?

I have 5 in the kit. I don’t see anywhere on the plans where they go. Any ideas? I would imagine some thing for
the rigging?

CAC2DED8-2E4C-47F1-80E4-B8E764BE98B5.jpeg

If you are building a Chebec they could be toggles, used instead of belaying pins.

Same question, because only 4 came with the Constructo Enterprise. Are they for a particular place/application in a pin rail?

I’m doing a 12 Gun British Ship. Mine is Constructo Also, looking at the Enterprise in their catalog, it doesn’t have any sails, I don’t see any there either.

Last edited:
I may have found 2 on the print. Toggles, #131, I have 5, says I need 3, I see 2 on the print.

3C7DF15A-4A7F-4414-9C2A-8EB5DB9014DC.jpeg19996FB0-D8F7-4533-A79E-38049457B4DB.jpeg445C47E3-B5D6-4EDE-A956-CC10679BA81C.jpeg

It looks like they are toggles and you have the correct locations; this is a detail of toggles on a different ship.

Attachments

• -Test.pdf
    368.5 KB · Views: 47
Nice, thanks. I can’t seem to locate the 3rd one on the plan. But I have 5.

Good thing I asked...that rigging object it not even noted/numbered. And parts list only goes up to 90...and that is doweling...

Look at my one pic, #38, is that showing it goes to 38 on the belay space? How on that angle? Is it a mast ?

It looks like they are toggles and you have the correct locations; this is a detail of toggles on a different ship.
Thanks for that...rather odd method when you can just splice the loops together like the fly line to the header..

This may be my 3rd one I’m looking for, if not, I’m not sure what it is. ( between the dead eyes) it looks like it’s floating 6E73CE7C-A23B-4D7E-A811-5493E0328D06.jpeg

Last edited:
Part No. 115 appears to be a shroud stave that acts as a spacer, it is made of wood with small notches that is tied to the shrouds.

Looking at the photo in post 6, it is a double block tied to a mast ring just below the middle deadeye.

When I built the Le Requin Xebex I had a dozen of these. They are for joining running rigging to rigging belays. For example, a short rigging belay, usually a heavier line than the running rigging line, would be anchored to a bulkhead with a loop at the opposite end. The loop would be served around the center of the toggle. Then a rigging line would be looped around the toggle and run for whatever purpose. The toggle served as a joint in rigging lines that could easily be undone without breaking down the more permanent anchor belay to the bulkhead. Make sense??

Yes. Thanks. It must be nice doing a model with good prints. Today I struggled on the fore mast, no instructions @nd the print is hard to read.
any pics of a reL toggle on a real ship?

Back