What exacty is 'room and space.?'

I see this term, and understand (I think) that it means the thickness of a frame plus the gap between them. But is there any defined relationship between the frame and the gap? got example, is it 50% frame and 50% gap, or is this merely a term of convenience and only the plans will show the ration between them?

Thank you, a big help. Can I assume that here the term 'floor' refers to a deck-beam interposed between two adjacent frames?

Ah, I think I get it. Floors are timbers laid transversely on top of the keelson (?) as fillers between frames. I did thing that putting deck beams between every frame was overkill.

.​

Alan, unlike the concept of "room & space", frame construction is very well described and very easy to find on the internet, including this forum. Why are you refusing to take advantage of this opportunity?

room and space is the red arrow and the blue arrow is the room and the space is between the frames.

is it 50% frame and 50% gap, or is this merely a term of convenience and only the plans will show the ration between them?

yes and no depends on the type of ship. many Great Lakes wooden ships did in fact have an equal frame and space between the frames making it a 50/50 frame and space.
but notice to the right where the frames are closer together ships of war were built with heavier frames closer together. The tern room and space take a different meaning. Frames that are 20 inches wide and set on 24 inch centers the room is 20 inches and the space between the frames is 4 inches.

single frames3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Dave. That is very clear, and the answer to the question I asked - ie Room and space are not always equal, but the ratio varies dependent on the design and purpose of the ship.

Thank you Dave. That is very clear, and the answer to the question I asked - ie Room and space are not always equal, but the ratio varies dependent on the design and purpose of the ship.

that is correct

Capture.JPG

what is being described here is this the floor of a frame being the room (tinted brown). The space is the area between each floor where the first futtonc is placed (tinted red)

so if you have a room and space of 24 inches then you know the floor is a 12 inch timber as well as the 1st futtock. If the room and space is 30 inches then the floor is 18 inches and the first frame timber is 12 inches.

frameshape1D.jpg

At this point I give in. But thank you- partial enlightenment at least.
The below drawings identifying frame parts may help you. In this case there are the forward and aft frames at station H for a 36 gun frigate of the 18th century. Note that the upper most joint was a scarph rather than a chock. Frames on earlier ships (up to about 1710) were constructed differently in that every other frame ended about 24 inches short of the keel rather than crossing it and scarphs were the norm for futtock and floor joints.
Allan
Frame parts.JPG
Frame 17 th century to 1710.PNG

Last edited:
I just turned up a copy of 'Navy Board Ship Models; by John Franklin, which includes more on this - and for me clarifies the names given to the various parts of the frames. Thank you so much for the heads up.

there are a lot of ways frames were built, look at the Princess Charlotte

I think I got it now. I had no problem technically with understanding how this stuff was put together but I did have a problem with the terminology. All sorted now, I know my floors from my futtocks.

Last edited:
Back