What glue type(s) do I need?

Hi,

I'm currently waiting for my Bluenose II kit to arrive. This will be the first tree model I've ever built, so I'm at total beginner here.

I'm curios to know what glue types you use and for what details the different kinds are used. Epoxy seems to be frequently used, but not for everything, right?
Please give me some hints on what kind of glues I should look for next time I go for shopping. :)

Thanks for your time!

/Klarre

Just like Gary, I suggest the Tite Bond I or II. I prefer (or highly suggest) the Thicker CA as it will not soak into the wood like the thinner CA (which is almost like water it is so thin)

Consider as I am sure that you will paint your Bluenose to remove as much CA as you can on the hull as the CA will not allow the paint to soak into the natural wood grain. If the Bluenose is all solid hull with no strips, then this would not be a factor.

Donnie

Thanks for your tips. I can see that they sell Titebond III at my hobby store on their website. Might go for that one then.

Donnie, I do will paint the Bluenose. But I was thinking about painting it before the assembly. Would you say that it generally is better to paint after the assembly? If I interpret your suggestion correctly you mean that I would paint it after, right?

Yes, Klarre, you are correct in that you will paint as your progress. As soon as your hull portion is complete, I would paint it. I am sure that it might need some touch up work as time goes by. Or maybe if you wait until you have all your deck furnishing on, then paint the hull (upper and lower hull sections)
Then the Bluenose will sit happily in the cradle while you do your rigging.

Donnie

I've used hot hide glue for some furniture projects and have really been thinking about using it the next time I have a hull to plank. It's effectively set when it cools down, so it should speed up the process from the usual two planks a day pace. A coffee cup hotplate would be enough for a model sized glue pot. Has anyone else tried this?

Back