What is your best tool for wood kits!

Too many really helpful tools to choose.

View attachment 152716

But most used at the moment are three home made sanding blocks.
View attachment 152717
View attachment 152718
View attachment 152719
The two rectangular ones are hinged at the front and scraps of sandpaper wrap around and get held in place with hand pressure.
The old hammer handle has a piece of velcro (hook and loop) and I attach scraps of velcro sand paper from rotary tools for sanding curves.
Sometimes something close at hand and adapted for a particular use turns out to become a favourite. :cool: :cool:
ingenius. Will make one today

Too many really helpful tools to choose.

View attachment 152716

But most used at the moment are three home made sanding blocks.
View attachment 152717
View attachment 152718
View attachment 152719
The two rectangular ones are hinged at the front and scraps of sandpaper wrap around and get held in place with hand pressure.
The old hammer handle has a piece of velcro (hook and loop) and I attach scraps of velcro sand paper from rotary tools for sanding curves.
Sometimes something close at hand and adapted for a particular use turns out to become a favourite. :cool: :cool:
I use a rounded over dowel, the hinged block is a good idea. Will use that one.

After tearing my hear out over crappy number drills that were either totally dull upon arrival, or broke if you looked at them, I looked for an alternative. I think someone on SOS gave me the idea of drills used for the manufacture of printed circuit boards, so I found a very inexpensive set on Amazon.

They are indeed sharp, and being carbide they should stay that way. They're short so less flex ought to produce less breakage. They fit into the largest chuck of my pin vise, and for really tight quarters, I can just use them separately.

Hi JIM D, i too use my DREMELS they are my go to tools, i probally have a dozen or more, what i do is go to ebay rotary tools and i get them for maybe $15.00 or 20.00 sometimes less if one goes bad i just dump it so far all good have been doing this for years, i too use the 8220 cordless ones especially now where i can sand outside, the only problem that i have with the cordless is the batterys do not last long and i have to recharge them i use 2 at a time with batterys always charging. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

It is not hard to pick my best tool for kits. Simply, I don't build too many... and they are from Master Korabel and\or Falkonet. Those kists assembled like Ikea furniture and, for the most part, need only a few hobby knives and glue. However, due to their small scale my best tool is...yes, you got it right - optivisor!!

View attachment 152711
You got that right, I sometimes even use mine to read directions now!

I use double face tape and make my own sand blocks, dowels, long PCs, small PCs, They are usually free Cut offs.

Some of my favorite models shipyard tools.
At the moment I am working on my own design and project to make mini modelers metal lathe. Still collecting remaining materials and necessary parts. Once I start building it I shall make a thread of the process.

1590396061617.png1590396082415.png1590396116872.png1590396191482.png1590396322655.png1590468658772.png1590396669936.png1590475095391.png1590475174845.png

Last edited:
After tearing my hear out over crappy number drills that were either totally dull upon arrival, or broke if you looked at them, I looked for an alternative. I think someone on SOS gave me the idea of drills used for the manufacture of printed circuit boards, so I found a very inexpensive set on Amazon.

They are indeed sharp, and being carbide they should stay that way. They're short so less flex ought to produce less breakage. They fit into the largest chuck of my pin vise, and for really tight quarters, I can just use them separately.
Going to order those - sweat!
Derek

Aye I'm with you all on sanding blocks - my favourite is a 'rolson block' (sorry no photo) - they are cheap but incredibly useful. I want (but not necessarily need) anything by Proxxon

Back