What model next

I'm new to Wood ship models. I did the Model Shipways Dory and pram models.
I am currently working on the 1805 Swift I purchased from eBay. The instructions are practically non-existent.
What would be a good next model. I'm thinking something a little larger. With good instructions and nice wood l.
In addition, I would like some recommendations about getting a set of modeling pliers and tweezers. Everything I buy from Amazon seems to be garbage.
Thanks in advance
Ted

Hi Ted, Welcome to the forums !
Can you give us some ideas of what you like? What size are you looking for?
Maybe the Occre Beagle would suite your experience and be something you like.

Jeff

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

The Swift-kit is a relatively older kit, so therefore sometimes problematic.

Like Jeff already mentioned, kits from Occre are from price / quality ratio good. Better material quality combined with very good drawings and instructions you get from Jotika / Caldercraft, but off course more expensive

Thanks for your response. I'm thinking of something about 30 to 36 inches. Also something square rigged. I'll check out the Beagle

Checked out the Beagle. That's tantalizing. Btw the Swift kit is from Model Shipways, a 1982 kit. Bought it for $40 on eBay. Figured it wouldn't be too much of a loas if was it up. So far nothing terribly wrong. I'm learning a lot due to the lack of instruction
Thanks once again

Checked out the Beagle. That's tantalizing. Btw the Swift kit is from Model Shipways, a 1982 kit. Bought it for $40 on eBay. Figured it wouldn't be too much of a loas if was it up. So far nothing terribly wrong. I'm learning a lot due to the lack of instruction
Thanks once again
if you are looking for something a little more of a challenge and slightly larger, check out the Occre Diana. I like the Mercedes also, but Occre web site says they are out of stock.

Thanks once again
Sorry - my thoughts were refering the Swift, which was released 40 years ago from a spanish company - not realy good

A suggestion. To get an idea of progression in kit modeling from easy to complex take a look at Lauckstreetshipyard.com. Bob Hunt is a professional ship modeler and has a College of Ship modeling with a sequence of learning and building ship models from Freshman to Expert. A quick review might give you some ideas on a sequence of models for your what next question.

I'm new to Wood ship models. I did the Model Shipways Dory and pram models.
I am currently working on the 1805 Swift I purchased from eBay. The instructions are practically non-existent.
What would be a good next model. I'm thinking something a little larger. With good instructions and nice wood l.
In addition, I would like some recommendations about getting a set of modeling pliers and tweezers. Everything I buy from Amazon seems to be garbage.
Thanks in advance
Ted
Ted,

Here's a link to the Artisania Latina site were you can download - free-of-charge- the instructions, general tips and two pages of plans in pdf.

I built the ship years ago as one of my first wooden kits and I agree that for the uninitiated it can be confusing.

But fortunately there's a lot of help on the forum.

Last edited:
Built the swift - piece o crap!
Have the Beagle kit mentioned it is a very nice kit and not too expensive, less than $200 at Model Shipways.
Good choice for a second build..

Are the videos on site or elsewhere
They are available at the site they are for sale on. It is an intellectual property that can be purchased. The site they are available at is:
Lauck Street Shipyard
I have a few of them and they are quite well done.

Another possibility is to go to the Occre website and look at what kits are in which experience category. They have them listed as: Beginners, Easy, Medium, High and Advanced. They are filters on the left margin of the website when you are looking at ship kits.

Thank you. Does the OcCre brand Have the best instructions. That asking with the heavy presce of the beagle on this site has me leaning in that direction.

Thank you. Does the OcCre brand Have the best instructions. That asking with the heavy presce of the beagle on this site has me leaning in that direction.
They have very good instructions, but I don't know they are the best since I've not seen all the different instructions available. If you go to the Occre website, you can download the instructions there. Take a look at them and form your own opinion. :)

I downloaded the instructions and the kit was changed at some point and is assembled differently.
Thank you for your help.

I want.to thank each of you for your response. I looked up the instructions on OcCre and believe I will do the Beagle next.

Back