wheels

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Sponsor: dlumberyard
Staff member
Sponsor

has anyone come across wheels that look like this in model railroading or other modeling? The wheel needs to be 1/2 inch diameter. i have completely failed in trying to make them from scratch.

DSCN3517.JPGDSCN3514.JPG

yes 3D printing would solve the problem but i do not have a 3D printer.

anyhow the Tecumseth had 2 carronades on deck but historical records state the carronades were set up to fire OVER the railing and not like this which was the typical way they were mounted.

DSCN7007.JPG

here are 2 examples of carronades on a carriage. notice the wheels same type found on cannons at fort Amherstburg
The question is were these iron wheels used on board a ship or were they strictly used in forts? i might go with the typical wood because i can not find an example of theses iron wheels on a ship.

1808_24-pounder.jpgkingston32-pounder-carronade.jpg

yes 3D printing would solve the problem but i do not have a 3D printer.

anyhow the Tecumseth had 2 carronades on deck but historical records state the carronades were set up to fire OVER the railing and not like this which was the typical way they were mounted.

View attachment 308390

here are 2 examples of carronades on a carriage. notice the wheels same type found on cannons at fort Amherstburg
The question is were these iron wheels used on board a ship or were they strictly used in forts? i might go with the typical wood because i can not find an example of theses iron wheels on a ship.

View attachment 308391View attachment 308392
If you can make the computer models for the wheels, you can hire a 3-D printer service. They are found online. Be sure to tell them the diameter of the wheels so they come out right.

still trying to figure out to either use the iron style or the typical wood type
As I learnt
One wooden decks, they never used iron wheels or ironplated wheels (for the movement forward and backwards (not sidewards like your carronade)
On wooden decks every time wooden wheels, so no damage of the planking

As I learnt
One wooden decks, they never used iron wheels or ironplated wheels (for the movement forward and backwards (not sidewards like your carronade)
On wooden decks every time wooden wheels, so no damage of the planking
If wear is such a large factor, how to do explain the skids used on the culverins on HMS Sovereign of the Seas? Perhaps the use of iron wheels is for durability or reduction in maintenance? Perhaps size was a factor. I haven't heard any reason why iron wheels replaced wooden or iron shod wooden wheels.

If wear is such a large factor, how to do explain the skids used on the culverins on HMS Sovereign of the Seas? Perhaps the use of iron wheels is for durability or reduction in maintenance? Perhaps size was a factor. I haven't heard any reason why iron wheels replaced wooden or iron shod wooden wheels.
For me, only based now my personal brainstorming, it was maybe also caused by the fact,
1) that the seamen had wood on board and also a carpenter, so maintenance and repair of wooden wheels could be easily done. Repair of an iron was much more complicated when the shep is offshore over weeks.
2) An additional factor was maybe also, that wooden wheels weight much less, than iron wheels, so I think that on a 100 gunner with 400 wheels it could be easily several tons weight difference .... just some ideas

I just searched the net for “model railroad wheels” and returned dozens of options for iron wheels at scale. They do not look exactly like your pictures but at scale could be adequate options. HO and O scale options. Model railroad sites have lots of options for parts that can be adopted for use in building model ships depending on scale. I have used, for example, HO scale window and door parts for bulkheads and stern galleries on several model ships.
Edit: In looking at the iron wheels on photos of the cannon carriages most if not all wheels from model railroad sites just won’t work…they are wheels for railroad trucks…I now understand better your frustration. My apologies for jumping down the wrong rabbit hole…

Last edited:
i do not see why iron wheels would do any more damage to a deck than wooden wheels. they both just roll over the deck.

The Tecumseth was built in the wilds of the Great Lakes in a makeshift yard on a farm. It is very possible the guns and iron work were sent from inventory from a fort or the Kingston yard. There are a number of examples of iron wheels from around the Great Lakes. If you think about it an iron wheel would be far stronger than a wood one.

2) An additional factor was maybe also, that wooden wheels weight much less, than iron wheels, so I think that on a 100 gunner with 400 wheels it could be easily several tons weight difference .

this is true but in this case we are talking about 4 wheels total on the Tecumseth.

here is another example

cats 091.jpg

The nearest I have seen to these are off WW2 Russian Tanks, the Josef Stalin series. If you look up JSI or JSII 1/35th scale for a comparison.

if i went with an iron wheel it would like this with a scale 1/2 inch diameter

View attachment 309712
Are you requesting a 3D drawing of the wheel for making a 3D part? If so, is this really the wheel you would want? Does it match your ship's gun wheels? Most lightening holes are not round, and the web seems to thick on this one, when compared to the above photos. And it's best to specify the actual wheel diameter (which I usually draw the model to) and scale (which determines the made size of the model).

Could be that they were iron wheels - no doubt.
Only for info:
actual photos of guns like the shown - most often the carriages are not contemporary, only the muzzles.
Often the wooden carriages were not existing and they produced new during a reconstruction for the museum....
We had once a topic here, where somebody asked for details and drawings for a carriage for a 1:1 reconstruction

i agree with Uwek there are reproduction of carriages but those reproductions must be based on research. From what i can gather iron wheels dated back to the war of 1812.
I think wooden wheels would be easier to make and can be made right in the shipyard. What would be the reason to use iron?

then there are iron straps on the wheels.

i do a lot of log cutting and to cut a wheel out of green wood it is most likely to crack. I wonder how cracking was avoided?

DSCN5669.JPG

Last edited:
Back