when to finalise the masts

so i am now working on the masts of my endeavour and have one finished ready to install, what is the usual order for doing this , wait till i have a three masts made and ready to install or one at a time as i finish them, also should i finish them complete or put them up in sections ?, i have all three mast bottom sections complete , the shortest mast , the rearmost one , is completely finished with all the blocks etc attached .
the only other thing stopping me right now is that i haven't decided whether or not to paint the water line or leave it wooden, all the ships i have made have been left with no paint, this is the first one that i have decided to semi paint , so i'm undecided about the hull but i am leaning towards painting it , and of course it would be easier without the masts on, but not impossible

IMO it is easiest - for me at least - to assemble each mast as completely as possible including all blocks and such. Do as much of the rigging as you can while off the ship, it will make it easier to work with - don't forget to label your lines so you know what they are and where they go. Then start at the front and work your way back., completing each as you go. For me it makes the task of rigging a lot easier. Paint before stepping any of your masts - if that's the way you decide to go. It will eliminate a lot of potential heart-ache later on.

I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say about this. Everything I've ever read about masts and rigging says to build up and rig the masts first and then install them, but I've never done that--I build them up on the ship starting with the bowsprit and it's a system that works for me, but as I say I'd be interested in hearing the pros and cons.

I agree with JimJ about painting everything before installing masts and also make sure you've done any work that will require moving the ship a lot or accessing the bottom, like mounting it on the base or installing the rudder.

I am looking at the same issue, one mast is built up, one is ready to glue Up, I have one to go, Im thinking the built up one I’m going to struggle with on rigging.

why does the word blocks come out as B, picture of a lock ,s . it took me a while to understand what i wrote ,
so i previewed this post and both the words , lock , which i assume will be an emogi , are both picture of locks , can i turn the emogi feature off,

I thought you were doing that. Lol. At first I had to think what you were saying. Blocks

working on my heavily bashed Latina "constellation" like Thomas I work from front to back stepping each mast after most of the rigging is done and the sails (if used)installed .I rig the upper shrouds and ratlines and do the lower shrouds after all the running rigging is done. The yard braces are saved for last. For the most part it works for me.

For me, the most important consideration in installing masts is to get them perfectly aligned. I always add the bowsprit first because it is easy to line it up visually with the centerline of the deck planking. My procedure is then test to fit the fore and main at the same time and view them from the bow and stern to make sure they align with each other and with the bowaprit. Then I start gluing. I add the mizzen last, also checking for alignment. Installing a mast without some kind of reference increases the likelihood it could lean to port or stbd.

installing them shouldn't be a problem i was just wondering at what point of completion do people aim for, also what is stepping

Stepping refers to the steps that hold the masts in place on a real ship. For a model it is just installing the masts. Everyone seems to have their preferred sequence for masting/rigging. Mine is bowsprit first, then fore and main lower masts. Add the trestle/cross trees next. I then begin standing rigging with shrouds and bob stays on bowsprit. This is followed by the standard rigging order on the mast of tackles (if desired), shrouds, and lastly stays starting with the fore mast. I do the mizzenmast last.
Next is to add the mast tops and caps, install the top masts, and continue with the standing rigging working from fore to aft. Good practice is to do all you can off the model which you are already doing.

Thank you .that's what I was wondering ,I'm going to try and do it the way you do and see how I get on

Wow...good question. Everyone will have a favorite way that works for them. My experience is to start with the lower mizzenmast mast first. Add everything to the lower mast including the lower top structures. Step the mast and then complete the shroud rigging. Go to the lower main, build up the lower mast structures, step and complete the shrouds. Same with fore mast. Once each of the lower masts are in place I then return to the mizzenmast and build the upper mast sections per the type ship you modeling...then the main, then the fore. Add the stays as you proceed. I try to complete all standing rigging before I turn to the yards and suitable running rigging. A note...as I complete a set of shrouds I also complete the ratlines before I move on. Anyway...just the way I do it...

Well, I guess that we've covered just about every possible option, and all seem to work for some experienced modellers. The upshot of it seems to be that it doesn't matter, do whatever works for you, but it pays to think hard about it so we don't get ourselves in a corner by making access to something impossible.

Well, I guess that we've covered just about every possible option, and all seem to work for some experienced modellers. The upshot of it seems to be that it doesn't matter, do whatever works for you, but it pays to think hard about it so we don't get ourselves in a corner by making access to something

Accidently lost my reply to jimmystratos. Lots of different approaches to building a model that work ok, but with experience you find some work better than others.

[/QUOTE]

For me, the most important consideration in installing masts is to get them perfectly aligned. I always add the bowsprit first because it is easy to line it up visually with the centerline of the deck planking. My procedure is then test to fit the fore and main at the same time and view them from the bow and stern to make sure they align with each other and with the bowaprit. Then I start gluing. I add the mizzen last, also checking for alignment. Installing a mast without some kind of reference increases the likelihood it could lean to port or stbd.

Agree that alignment can be a challenge--you have to worry about three dimensions simultaneously and take the rake into consideration. I attach a string with a weight to the ceiling of my work room and use it as a plumb. It's more accurate than eye, triangle and spirit level.

I think a rule is to discover your own tolerance for working on ever increasing complexity or "clutter" as masting and rigging progresses. Some find it easier to deal with the complexity of mast structures before they mount them on the model. It is easier to move things around to build the structures. Others like to add structures as they go. Bottom up or top down. The question remains...how comfortable are you using tweezers as extensions of your fingers as mast structures, yards, and standing and running rigging become more and more complex on the model.

Are all masts on some kind of a rake? the kit I’m working on seem to look to be straight up. (90°)

I think when you put the mast in ,some manufacturers already have the rake built in. Other than that check pics on internet, other builds or even the replica. There's millions of pics of the Endeavour.

Back