Where can find or how can I make 1/89 scale figures?

I have reconciled myself to the fact that I missed my chance to buy the 1/89 scale French naval figures the AL sold to be used on their L'Hermione frigate. I think scale figures of crew members provides a since of the size of a ship that is difficult to perceive, especially for those that are unfamiliar with sailing ships. If someone could point me to resources about where I might find some suitable figure, or how I might make some figures it would be appreciated. I recall seeing some something that looks like cardboard or card stock cutouts that would serve the purpose. I'm not sure how they are made but they could be useful.

Richard

What about 1:100 scale figures? I have only found some USS Constitution metal crew figures, and those are limited in shape and pose. Been looking for some time now. Anyone who builds Corel ships might know?

I build 1/8 scale. I use 1/87 for 1/96 scale, take a razor saw cut arms, legs, and midriff and you have removed the 10% required. For 1/89 scale I do the same ,only I add .00010 , but this is a little trickier because I try to cut at the pant leg bottoms or the boot tops and then fill with .00010 plastic. I do the same at the midriff belt line or the bottom of the coat line. The arms are cut at the wrists where a coat meets the wrists and filled or where the shirt sleeve meets the arm same applies. I've used this technique for figures from 1/125 scale all the way up to 1/16 scale with no problems and I usually use Presier models because there readily available. good luck, take your time and everything should work out fine.

Probably Airfix has the greatest variety of figures available from Roman times to modern times. Their scales run from 1:87 to 1:12 and supposedly 52mm figures. Most figures can be sculpted by either cutting and removing pieces or adding pieces, and it's a lot easier than trying to sculpt the figures.

I have reconciled myself to the fact that I missed my chance to buy the 1/89 scale French naval figures the AL sold to be used on their L'Hermione frigate. I think scale figures of crew members provides a since of the size of a ship that is difficult to perceive, especially for those that are unfamiliar with sailing ships. If someone could point me to resources about where I might find some suitable figure, or how I might make some figures it would be appreciated. I recall seeing some something that looks like cardboard or card stock cutouts that would serve the purpose. I'm not sure how they are made but they could be useful.

Richard
Did you ever find figures for L'Hermione?
- Gabe

Back