Which Le Requin?

So I have been thinking about taking on one of the POF kits of Le Requin but I am having a hard time trying to ascertain the difference between the Lu Hai Quin and the Shi Cheng versions (forgive my spelling of the mfg’s if they are wrong) other than the materials are similar, it seems with SC you can get a pear framing/boxwood carvings or a cherry framing /pear carvings and the Lu Hai is pear framing and either boxwood/ebony carvings or all pear carvings. Also the Lu Hai is all Chinese instructions and plans and I am not sure but I think the SC is in English- I have also heard the SC has an English parts list but the instructions are Chinese. I hope some of you guys that have built this model can give a quick synopsis of your experience and also whether it was an overall pleasure or frustrating to build. I am most interested in which kit has the best engineering and design ( or are they too similar) and which one (if any) is most likely to provide a successful result. They are all expensive for my budget although an awesome value for money spent, and the price is close enough that I would not let the cost be a factor. I do lean towards the Lu Hai Pear/Boxwood/Ebony kit but that is based upon the pictures on ZHL’s website - that is also a concern - do those pictures (of all the kits) accurately depict the actual parts you receive in the kit? ( which are amazing and beautiful). A review would be awesome if anyone knows of a link or someplace that a review exists for any of the kits? This is a major purchase for me and I would just like as much information as I can get beforehand as there just isn’t much info out there.... I have spoken with Brian about his awesome build but he cannot remember which kit it was at that time, and I am hoping some others have some input for me. Thanks guys - sorry for the long post.....

hi stargazer I have a brand new

LE REQUIN 1750 (Brand:Luhaiqingkong) Full Rib Version And Liftboat 1/48 47.6" Model Kit Ship Boxwood Carvings​

for sale if interested email gordonwenman@gmail.com

Hi there,
I cannot recall exactly the brand of kit I purchased from Max at ZHL, but it was cherry frames with boxwood carvings. I think there's several variations on the model from a few manufacturers.
As for your question about ebony, I used my own supply of that wood as it was instructed to paint with black paint. I also bought Costello boxwood for the exterior planking, but the kit supplied wood is quite satisfactory. I can highly recommend the model as it builds to a real showpiece. Don't worry too much about the instructions, its the assembly diagrams and line drawings you need. The kit supplied plans are quite good, but buying the Ancre book helps with the build and rigging details.
Finally the building jig supplied with the model is well designed and helps everything go together accurately.

I'm here if you need any further advice, and good luck with it....its a great model.
cheers Brian.

Thanks Brian, I think most of the models on SoS have been the SC brand from what I can tell, I am hoping that someone has built the Lu Hai kit as that is the one I am mostly interested in. It actually looks like it uses the same design as the SC kit but with better wood(s)? So far everyone that has responded really praise the kit and the resulting model. ((But they have all been SC kits)

Thanks Brian, I think most of the models on SoS have been the SC brand from what I can tell, I am hoping that someone has built the Lu Hai kit as that is the one I am mostly interested in. It actually looks like it uses the same design as the SC kit but with better wood(s)? So far everyone that has responded really praise the kit and the resulting model. ((But they have all been SC kits)
So why not jumping and order the Lu Hai kit - so we can all see the kit review and a new building log of this kit ;)
What ever your choice will be ........

So why not jumping and order the Lu Hai kit - so we can all see the kit review and a new building log of this kit ;)
What ever your choice will be ........

Well I was hoping to make that announcement but a guy I thought I had a deal with on the kit just backed out.... so it’s back to negotiations with the admiralty on a new kit.... ($500 more) plus I just got the OK for the CAF Le Coureur and Trident Alert Kits so I need to do some creative math....

So I have been thinking about taking on one of the POF kits of Le Requin but I am having a hard time trying to ascertain the difference between the Lu Hai Quin and the Shi Cheng versions (forgive my spelling of the mfg’s if they are wrong) other than the materials are similar, it seems with SC you can get a pear framing/boxwood carvings or a cherry framing /pear carvings and the Lu Hai is pear framing and either boxwood/ebony carvings or all pear carvings. Also the Lu Hai is all Chinese instructions and plans and I am not sure but I think the SC is in English- I have also heard the SC has an English parts list but the instructions are Chinese. I hope some of you guys that have built this model can give a quick synopsis of your experience and also whether it was an overall pleasure or frustrating to build. I am most interested in which kit has the best engineering and design ( or are they too similar) and which one (if any) is most likely to provide a successful result. They are all expensive for my budget although an awesome value for money spent, and the price is close enough that I would not let the cost be a factor. I do lean towards the Lu Hai Pear/Boxwood/Ebony kit but that is based upon the pictures on ZHL’s website - that is also a concern - do those pictures (of all the kits) accurately depict the actual parts you receive in the kit? ( which are amazing and beautiful). A review would be awesome if anyone knows of a link or someplace that a review exists for any of the kits? This is a major purchase for me and I would just like as much information as I can get beforehand as there just isn’t much info out there.... I have spoken with Brian about his awesome build but he cannot remember which kit it was at that time, and I am hoping some others have some input for me. Thanks guys - sorry for the long post.....
Hallo Lou, alias @Stargazer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
PS: Did you order finally a kit?

Back