Who's Making that kit?

Personally i would not use this stuff for structural parts in a kit.
I agree with you Dave. And I also would not use it as structural elements in a kit. However, to be completely fair.... there are various grades of MDF just like wood. While the MDF you show in the pictures above indeed warped badly, some of the higher quality MDF produced might not. I wanted to put this post out here quickly because there are people who will immediately say the same thing...

WELL SAID MIKE SHANKS, WELL SAID, DID NOT KNOW ABOUT ALL THE STUFF ABOUT MDF (LIKE HEALTH CONCERNS, WILL NOT WOULD NOT BY A KIT WITH MDF, IF I COULD NOT RE MAKE THE PART. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

I was in the shop yesterday I found these 2 pieces of MDF board. What I do is lay them flat with a weight on top to prevent them from warping. these 2 sheets were sitting by themselves. Once this stuff warps you can not unwarp it because they are effected by humidity. Plywood you can wet it and use weight to straighten it out, you can not do that with MDF board.
The pipe is straight so you can judge the amount of warp.
Personally i would not use this stuff for structural parts in a kit.

View attachment 162181View attachment 162182View attachment 162183
It looks like those two sheets soaked up a good amount of moisture. Storing sheets of MDF here on Long Island would be tricky at best.

Ordinary plywood is made using a water soluble glue, therefore it is not advisable to wet the plywood, structural, marine and aircraft plywood are made with NON water soluble glue. I saw here in Australia the first two issues of a part (subscription) build of the Black Pearl, smaller than 1:98 but the keel and bulk heads were laser cut out of MDF, there was black soot floating around in the blister pack. I was sorely tempted to buy the subscription but because it was MDF changed my mind.
I have the complete (all parts) for the DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, the keel came in three sections and each section was warped but was able to straighten it out when the decks, so don't despair DrKellog your ship will sail a straight line, even without rudder trim.
Regards.

Forgot to add in last post. The MDF that was manufactured some years ago would swell on the surface even if a drop of perspiration fell on it, if it got wet, proper, it would swell to three or four times it's thickness and had a yellowish colour. The MDF we get here now is a light brown colour and when it gets wet does not swell.
For anyone anywhere in the world if you cut or sand MDF with power or by hand PLEASE wear a mask and eye cover, the fibers would have the same effect as asbestos.
My $2 worth, stay safe because we want to see what you get for birthdays and Christmas!

Recently opened the first pack from D Agostini's HMS Victory kit and was really saddened by all the warped parts that make up the false keel and ribs. I know the kit used to be produced by AL but since they no longer are in business who's making the kit's? Also, is there any news from Amati about their long awaited 1/64 kit of Victory? Here's a pick of one of the frames.
Hallo @DrKellog
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Recently opened the first pack from D Agostini's HMS Victory kit and was really saddened by all the warped parts that make up the false keel and ribs. I know the kit used to be produced by AL but since they no longer are in business who's making the kit's? Also, is there any news from Amati about their long awaited 1/64 kit of Victory? Here's a pick of one of the frames.
Hi.If it is the kit from de Agosstine you will have many problems during your build. I have my own experience mainly with Soleigh Royal- it took 3 years - to get all parts and the plans at the end. These ship parts were from OcCre. De Agostini has changed to Artesavia Latina- this company disappeared a time but is now back. Artesania has now the full kit for sale- in one delivery- again

Back