Willem Ruys 1:500 waterline model from scratch

MBJ

Dear all,
I recently started a 1:500 waterline model of Rotterdamsche Lloyd´s Willem Ruys, launched in 1947 for the Rotterdam - Jakarta service. I do not own a sophisticated workshop or fancy tools, but hope to get a proper result using basic techniques.
What I did so far:

1. found some deck plans
1717657719170.png
2. Scaled those I need for the waterline model, transfered them to plywood (1 and 4 mm, respectively), and cut the decks out with my jigsaw
3. Arranged the decks and fixed them to a straight piece of wood. My idea is the following: I want to reproduce the sheer, and therefore need to bend the wood slightly. To achieve this, I added spacers beneath the lowest deck (to achieve the bend), arranged all decks, soaked them in water for a few hours, and then let them dry. My hope is that they´ll stay in shape after drying. (I´d be curious to know: Do you know other techniques to achieve this "controlled bending" of plywood?)The washers you see on the fotos allow the wood to dry faster. Here´s where the model stands today:

1717658207275.jpeg
1717658240349.jpeg
1717658263056.jpeg
You can see that when I drove the screws in (the holes will later be covered by the stacks) the whole arrangement twisted quite badly. I´ll need to see how to improve the technique for future models. For now, i just hope it will work out.
I´d be happy if you enjoy this tiny project! More posts to follow soon.

Here´s some update on the Willem Ruys. I started painting the decks and arranged them for one of the fotos.17179219661186609800756237163246.jpg 17179217783381532325032722176087.jpg
The sheer did not turn out perfectly, but ok - I´ll need to fix it to an even base to get an even "keel" in the end.

Last edited:
Interesting start (and project)
I am looking forward to the next working steps

I found some time to carve the hull and arrange some of the decks. I decided to attach cardboard to the deck houses etc., on which I drew the windows before attaching them. It was not easy to figure out the windows arrangements on each deck, and in some spots I cheated a bit.
The pool is almost ready for a swim, as you can see below :)

IMG_20240616_155808.jpg

IMG_20240616_112243.jpg

Thanks for this model. I can remember admiring this ship at the dock in balboa panama. I hope you post the finished pictures

Thanks Bob! Definitely a beauty, especially with the decks descending so elegantly towards the stern before her refit. I sure will post more pictures when she's finished!

Just an addition on the problem of getting the sheer right when building with several horizontal layers: As I wrote earlier, the plan to wet and let dry the decks worked OK, but not great. I have tried around a bit and ended using a thick layer of filler, which I sanded on an even surface. That worked nicely. However, to have perfect control on the sheer I'll try something different next time. Still interested to hear if anyone has any ideas on that issue. Cheers!

Back