Wood Display Base

Hello Esteemed Colleagues,

I have been searching the www for a website that sells wood display bases for a ship model I purchased that didn't come with a base. I'm shocked at the prices! The cheapest I've been able to find is $86 at the Plymor Store for a 16"x10"x0.75".

I'm trying to get a 20"long x 8"wide x 0.75"thick solid walnut wood display base with Ogee edges.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Raul Armada

Making your own base and routering the edges is what most builders do.
1362 Redesigned the Center Stand.jpg

1364 Ship on New Stand.jpg

If you don't have a router, cut a rectangle of wood and surround it with shoe molding. Miter cut and glue the molding of your choice around the edge of the base board. Choosing the same type of wood and finish will make the molding and the base board look like one piece.
1701148672393-png.410085
1701148896259.png 1701149016964.png

1701148672393.png

I have been searching the www for a website that sells wood display bases for a ship model I purchased that didn't come with a base. I'm shocked at the prices! The cheapest I've been able to find is $86 at the Plymor Store for a 16"x10"x0.75".

I'm trying to get a 20"long x 8"wide x 0.75"thick solid walnut wood display base with Ogee edges.

Thank you,

Raul Armada
Where do you live Raul?

So, your profile has a US flag, so I'm going to assume you live here in the US. You can order Home Depot or Lowes a number of different hardwoods. They have oak, cherry, maple and walnut planks that you can cut to the size you want and then finish them with your desired method.

You can use a wooden picture frame turned round so the ‘lip’ supports a flat board for the ship to sit on.
That's an idea I never thought of. I have a friend who works in a picture frame store and she might be able to get me some unused or scrap frame that I can put together with a flat center board. Would likely get a higher quality base than just buying something expensive off the internet. Thanks for the creative suggestion.

I was thinking that, if you lived close by, I would make the base for you. ( our daughter lives in Lakeland)
Thank you for the offer, that's very kind.
I think I'm going to follow the suggestion of using a picture frame for the base.
This base will be for a model of Soliel Royal. The suggestion of using a picture frame opens up the opportunity to use an ornate picture frame that can complement the model. It also gives me the opportunity of a short project to build it myself instead of just buying something from the internet.

I've had good luck with 1x6 ironwood with four chopsticks (stained to match base) set in vertical holes drilled in the base so that the chopsticks hold the ship (in this case a 1:78 Rattlesnake) firmly. Since this ship rests on a headboard above where I sleep, earthquake adhesive holds the base in place.

What I use is a straight board from Lowe’s (Hardware and lumber company). They are sometimes signed as hobby boards. I can choose from pine, popular, oak depending on how I want to finish the board. Of course the edges are a straight square finish board…I am not concerned about shaped edges. I get a board the size I need for $3 (price depends on wood and size of course) stain it, poly it, and mount the ship. Looks good in the end…just not fancy. Here is a partial photo of such a board base. PS: that is the LauckStreetShipyard model “Kingfisher.”

1701545473911.jpeg

Last edited:

Thank you,

Raul Armada

In my opinion, no need to spend to much for a base; it should just hold your beautiful model and not be a focus point...

Here are my bases; a piece of oak, lightly machined and just danish oil... green billiard table cover, still need a bit work.. Ropes are covering bigger than needed holes for 3mm copper wire.

base3.jpg

Bse2.jpg

Base1.jpg

base5.jpg

Bottom has channel for cables as my Santa Maria will have some led lights installed...

Bellow base need a bit more work.. currently just holding Pinta waiting for sails..

base4.jpg

Happy modelling..

So, your profile has a US flag, so I'm going to assume you live here in the US. You can order Home Depot or Lowes a number of different hardwoods. They have oak, cherry, maple and walnut planks that you can cut to the size you want and then finish them with your desired method.
A five pack of 1x6 by 2ft pieces of walnut at HD goes for $82.53. That's $16.50 per board foot. You could use HDs poplar and paint it black.

A five pack of 1x6 by 2ft pieces of walnut at HD goes for $82.53. That's $16.50 per board foot. You could use HDs poplar and paint it black.
If it's going to be painted black, get a piece of melonite covered MFD. :) I assumed he wanted something nicer. You can buy Oak by the individual piece from HD. Or if you want and don't mind paying shipping but want some exotic woods, try Rockler. They have a web site you can order boards from. Or you can get it locally if you are close to one of their stores

Enjoyed reading the question and all the interesting answers. Thanks!

Back