Wood Display Base

View attachment 411679

Another alternative is to veneer some plywood. What you see here is nothing more than a simple box I constructed out of plywood and then veneered. It does a pretty convincing job of looking like an expensive plank of burl.
I wasn't looking at the base, wow that ship is a beauty.

I know I have shared this before on this forum, but nevertheless: here goes again. Just to show the number of creative solutions is not limited to picture frames and innkeepers signs. There is no need to spend $86 or more.

Below you can see HMS Endurance mounted on a slab of marble. I got it from a thrift shop for five euros. I suspect it once was the base of an old clock.

EnduranceBase_01.jpg

I know I have shared this before on this forum, but nevertheless: here goes again. Just to show the number of creative solutions is not limited to picture frames and innkeepers signs. There is no need to spend $86 or more.

Below you can see HMS Endurance mounted on a slab of marble. I got it from a thrift shop for five euros. I suspect it once was the base of an old clock.

View attachment 411819
If you have a way to work the stone, you might even be able to get left overs from counter top installations. Like where they make a hole for the sink or a cooktop.

Here in the UK antique 19th century furniture is really cheap as no-one wants it any more. Sold a side table - 5 foot by 2 foot with a really nice top about an inch thick for only £40 recently. Enough timber there to make several bases. Would hate to cut up a perfectly good table however needs must

Here in the UK antique 19th century furniture is really cheap as no-one wants it any more. Sold a side table - 5 foot by 2 foot with a really nice top about an inch thick for only £40 recently. Enough timber there to make several bases. Would hate to cut up a perfectly good table however needs must
I've thought about buying old furniture for lumber for a scratch build if I can find some made out of cherry.

Hello Esteemed Colleagues,

I have been searching the www for a website that sells wood display bases for a ship model I purchased that didn't come with a base. I'm shocked at the prices! The cheapest I've been able to find is $86 at the Plymor Store for a 16"x10"x0.75".

I'm trying to get a 20"long x 8"wide x 0.75"thick solid walnut wood display base with Ogee edges.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Raul Armada
HI, You can buy some wood bases in MICHAEL'S or Hobby Lobby for about $10 to $17 you need to sanded a little bit ,tint it and barnish it.They are comming in different sizes.

Hello Esteemed Colleagues,

I have been searching the www for a website that sells wood display bases for a ship model I purchased that didn't come with a base. I'm shocked at the prices! The cheapest I've been able to find is $86 at the Plymor Store for a 16"x10"x0.75".

I'm trying to get a 20"long x 8"wide x 0.75"thick solid walnut wood display base with Ogee edges.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Raul Armada
Hallo @Raul Armada
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

The cost is because it's 10" wide, assuming you want a single piece. But luckily you want a short piece. You might search some hardwood dealers or cabinet shops on the web to see if they can sell you a cutoff. And since the piece is 3/4 thick you'll want to make sure it's absolutely flat and stays absolutely flat - because almost all walnut you can find will have been kiln dried. Cherry would be cheaper.

There are some wonderful ideas here. I have some slabs of wood I was going to use and I thought that I could use one of those pattern makers with all the pins that replicates the form of whatever you press it against to get the shape of the hull. I like the look of the finials but not sure where I would find them
Dave

Back